Just passed MCDST.....Advice on CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bash687, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bash687

bash687 Bit Poster

Hello

I just passed my MCDST and redone my CV could i have some feedback on the CV attached. I am very eager to get Into IT and would consider anything

What you reckon should be my next move?

thanks all

Attached Files:

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Do not take any of this to heart but in all honesty, that a frankly appalling CV.

It is cramped and difficult to differentiate between sections, it has a serif'ed font which is incredibly hard to read on screens which is why I recommend having one CV for when you print off and mail to people (which would use Georgia NOT times) and one for Emails and Electronic reading, which uses ariel and the like.

Get rid of the Border,

The Table of skills, alot of that is completely pointless stuff that needn't be included. not to mention your idea of a professional skill level may be very well different from the potential employers assumption of what a professional is.

I'm going to shoot from the hip here and say you filled that table with programs that were just on your computer ? as from what I can see, i'll assume you mount LEGAL copies of your OWN software on all that ISO software ;) hehe :D

Just a few thoughts, congratulations on passing though im working towards it now, not really putting in as much effort as I should tbh.

Sorry for the scoulding but it's constructive. probably half hearted though on my part

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. superhans

superhans New Member

I have to agree that CV is one ugly mother but that's just cosmetic. I think your experience plus your new qualifications will stand you in good stead. I wish I was at your level myself.

Here's a decent article I followed to update my old MS Word template CV. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. It is an American site so their conventions might be slightly different, you might want to seek other advice on what to actually put on there as opposed to the presentation.

http://www.lifeclever.com/give-your-resume-a-face-lift/

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+, CCNA
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ok Ill be fair, if i were recruiting this CV would end up in the bin.

Mainly for that pointless boxed list of software including such often used items (in a work environment) such as google earth, Ultra ISO, windows live mail, and registry mechanic!

Anyways, get rid of that altogether.

The rest is actually good, although I agree with others on the border and font, also I would get rid of the interests section, that is what the interview is for.

The profile needs to be rewritten, needs to be an objective marketing tagline (so to speak), there is way to much of I do this, or I am that.

"Methodical approach to troubleshooting and able to converse with users on different experience levels" is what it should say as opposed to the "I" stuff.

Remember your front page is what the recruiter will see, you need to make him/her think i want to hire this guy, so get some achievements in there, if you implemented a helpdesk routine which helped save 30 seconds a call say so, if you did some project work or such say so here.

There is a thread in this forum with advice on how to do a CV, I followed it for mine and have had a steady stream of calls and mails (unfortunately for roles in places i cant get too)

Anyways good luck and I hope you keep using the forum, as this is a great site for someone looking to develop a career in IT.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You say that you "are eager to get into IT". Aren't you in IT already? Your CV says that you've been in IT since 2004... so which is it?

The one piece of advice I can provide is that you have to think like an employer. An employer's not gonna care that you are a "Professional" with apps like Music Bridge, Virtual DJ, and Samsung PC Studio. WK is right - it looks like you listed everything in your Add/Remove Programs install list in an attempt to beef up your CV. An employer is only going to want to know what is relevant to a business IT environment.

Further, be sure that you can truly say that you are at the "Professional" level? I do not doubt your abilities, but if you say you are at the top of your game on an app such as Outlook, then you have to truly be an expert with it with regards to how Outlook is used in a business IT environment. For example, do you know how to troubleshoot Outlook-to-Exchange connectivity?

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

CHECK OUT http://www.jobchangesecrets.com. WILL ACTUALLY GIVE YOU INSIGHT ON HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CV BASED ON YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND HOW YOU WANT YOUR EMPLOYER TO PERCEIVE YOU.....

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. BosonMichael

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

:biggrin WILL KEEP THAT IN MIND MATE! Oops! my mistake:lol:

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

I've always found Verdana (This post is in Verdana) a good font for printing and I've heard around the web that its regarded well for things like CVs :D

WIP: Network +
  10. BosonMichael

:thumbleft

11. westernkings

The straight and narrows of typography is Serif Fonts for Print and Sans for Screen. That's just the industry standards. :twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

:) Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.

WIP: Network +
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Strange, I thought that Tahoma was the standard font nowadays.

This is default for Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Change your CV.

WTF? at this.....

Ditch that table of software, who cares if you can use itunes.

Like BM has said Im slightly confused, you say you want to break into IT yet you have listed some IT jobs on your CV? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. westernkings

On screen yes. :biggrin

16. BosonMichael

...which is where most CVs are going to be reviewed. :)

17. westernkings

unless you are handing in CV's to your local store for a saturday job ;) or mailing CVs to people instead of emailing :twisted: !!! OK !!!! ??? !!!!

18. BosonMichael

Mailing CVs? Like, by the postal service? :biggrin Come on, you're not REALLY a tech, are you? :twisted:

heeheehee! :p

19. bash687

bash687 Bit Poster

ok firstly THIS FORUM ROCKS

hideous table gone. didn't like it much. cant believe i let that w***er talk me into put it in.

westerkings thank you for your post, border is gone. ok i have changed the font to verdana its already looking better lol. Come on of course they are legal what do you take me for lmao:wink:

i am a photocopier service engineer really but because it is a small business i do all in house IT stuff also help customers with any IT problems they have. That the reason why i said want to get into IT plus hate my job with passion lol

thanks kevicho i get started on rewriting could you give me some more help i dont wanna sound too arrogant on the cv i just have no idea how to do this type of that personal profile that i made in college lol

what do you think of the skills section?

thanks you all once again

i have attached the minor changes i made what do you think

20. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would remove that cv and re upload it without all your personal details on it

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal