Just ordered my Comptia A+ book...

Discussion in 'A+' started by Len, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

So.. I just ordered the Mike Meyers Comptia A+ 2009 edition book.

Is it weird to feel nervous waiting for a book? :blink

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no not at all just see how nervous you are when you see the size of the bloody thing :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Scott77

Scott77 New Member

I got mine last week (Myers one) and was surprised at the size of it!

Worth the weight tho I'd say so far ;)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with the studies :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Its a monster! Don't be daunted though, if i can do it you can. One chapter at a time, good luck. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Tis a big book but a good read. :study

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

It is a wee bit on the large side! I've had mine a while but havent got stuck into it.. something always gets in the way (excuses eh) :(.

I've decided im reading 40 pages a night from this week - going to do the test that comes with it first, see how I do.

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  8. Len

Len Byte Poster

My book came.

Its big :D

9. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I know how you feel. Think about getting the exam booked as well, what he says in the book is true (at least for me) pressure makes diamonds....good luck with the study :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  10. Len

Len Byte Poster

Well, I usually study during the evening(About 8-10) right before I go to sleep. Just recently got past the Microprocessor chapter. Have to say I dont think all that information in the "Essentials" section sunk in. The "Practical Application" part seems somewhat easier to absorb, and all questions relating to putting something into practice are always answered correctly by me. This is more than I bargained for! :)

11. .co.za

.co.za Bit Poster

I'm thinking of ordering the book, but I wanted to get a rough idea first of how long it would take someone with (comparitively to others on here) little experience of hardware and operating systems to go from reading the book to passing (hopefully!) the exams, so i'll follow your progress, keep us posted and good luck in advance :)

WIP: A+, N+, L+, MCDST
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How long it takes entirely depends on you. Everyone's different.

One thing is for certain: every day you put off ordering the book is one day longer it's gonna ultimately take you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

So i would order the book if i were you, start studying!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  14. .co.za

.co.za Bit Poster

Ok, i've ordered the book, just wanted to get an idea of what I should aim for, I want to really push myself and get the basic certs done ASAP, is a month realistic/possible for A+?

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's no way for us to say. Everyone is different, with different abilities and responsibilities. Some people learn quickly; others don't. Some people retain trivial information well; others don't. Some people require a lot of hands-on practice; others don't. Some people can devote a lot of time each day to studying; others can't. Some people have a lot of real-world experience; others don't. And because of these differences, some people can pass without studying, and some people take years. There's no way for anyone to know how long it should take YOU to learn it. I suspect it's somewhere between now and a few years from now. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. .co.za

.co.za Bit Poster

Well that narrows it down :p

I'm just gonna go for it and book my exam when the book arrives; must keep motivated!