Just looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by AntJayC, May 21, 2014.

1. AntJayC

AntJayC New Member

Hi guys,

I was scouring the internet looking for information about getting into the IT industry and also certifications and found this site. I am just looking for some advice on what to do I currently do not have any certifications the only thing I have is a Cisco IT Essentials and also a national certificate in ICT. These I have found don't really mean much to anyone now a days in the industry.

I have been applying for jobs and I did some voluntary work for a family friend a few years ago in a 1st Line Support role and have since then had to work in Marks and Spencer to pay the rent for my flat and car. I have had some interviews and call backs but nothing has come of these.And have also approached a few online learning companies re doing my certifications these are ITonlinelearning.co.uk and also computeach.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice or their opinions on what should be my next step and also opinions on the learning companies above.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Anthony

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Anthony, my advice would be to avoid those companies, you can self study for your certs or find a reputable local tech college you can attend.

Basically don't expect anyone to do it for you, you have to put 110% effort in yourself.

Often certification alone wont be enough, you will have to prove your skills in other ways.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  3. AntJayC

AntJayC New Member

Hi thanks for your advice it really is appreciated. I have been looking for a local tech college I could study at but there dose not seem to be one in Liverpool. I have looked at self studying but I have no idea how to start it.

Thanks

Anthony

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Self studying typically means buying a 'study guide' (book) and reading it, in the book there are exercises, typically you will need a half decent computer and VirtualBox. You can then follow the labs (tutorials) in the book.

You can supplement this with other forms of learning like CBT's (video training), forums, blogs, portals, MOOC's, etc.

Liverpool is a pretty big place, I'd be very surprised if there was nothing around.

Google gave me this in 1 seconds effort...
    IT Systems Support and Networking Level 2 | The City of Liverpool College

Check out local meet ups :-
    Find your people - Meetup

Like I said, its about you putting the effort in, that includes figuring out what to study and how to study it.

You should have an idea because you have already got Cisco Essentials etc.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. AntJayC

AntJayC New Member

Hi thanks for your input once again I found that college course before but I cannot complete it as I already have a level 3 qualification. I found the thread about self studying and I'm going to try and do that.

Thanks for your help

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Does the college you studied at not give career advice ? Why not visit them and ask ?

Otherwise checking out the self study posts using the forum search is a good idea.

There are also many excellent MOOC's around you should check them out, it really depends what interests you about IT.