Just Joined

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Buck, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

I would just like to say hi to everyone on CertForum.

Oh ya has anyone got any info on how to reload windows onto an Toshiba Qosmio G20 without losing any of their old files.

Buck

Certifications: N/A Nearly got a Degree
    WIP: A+ N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Safest method (and the one I always recommend) is to back up your old files to network/CD/DVD/flash memory, wipe drive, and reinstall Windows. You might be able to get away with just reinstalling Windows over the top of your old install, but that might not clear up whatever problem you may be having... and there's no guarantee that your files will be 100% OK.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Buck.

Welcome to Certforum.

I believe the Qosmio is quite a recent model, in which case you probably have a ghosted image to restore the machine as it left the factory.

As BBM has already said, back up your files and boot from the restore disc/partition.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Thx for advice, however I forgot to mention that it's the Hal.Dll file thats missing. All I want to do is reinstall that file. I don't want to wipe the HD if possible.

Cheers Buck

6. BosonMichael

If you're getting an error message that hal.dll is missing or corrupt, it's usually not a missing or corrupt hal.dll file. It might be your boot.ini file looking in the wrong place for hal.dll.

Can't you do a repair install? That'll certainly fix your problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is very true and it's a typical example of why yu can't trust error messages to give you spot on info, they are often way off the mark. corrupt or missing hal.dll is a common error and it does indicate that something (other than hal.dll) is corrupt. If you were to restore another hal.dll it would not fix this issue.

Corrupt bootup files, including corrupt registry files can be fixed but it is quicker to do a repair if you can. Also you might want to check the hard disk for errors as corrupt files could be due to a failing disk.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Another Brummie!!! We gonna take over this Forum!!!

Welcome to CF...

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had the same problem with my laptop over xmas, I got an error message saying that the hall.dll file was missing or corrupt when I started up he laptop.

I tried a repair install but the previous install of Windows was not detected which gave me a shock (hadn’t backed up in a few weeks!)

Loaded up recovery console...

Typed:

bootcfg /rebuild ...again got an error saying that no windows installs could be found.

Then I ran the scan chkdsk /r command and let it run overnight. The next day I then typed ‘logon’ from recovery console and then I got a prompt to logon to C:\WINDOWS (phew!)

Rebooted, got back into Windows and then ran a full backup.

Got outta jail! (again!) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

However the dilemma is, when I load the recover disk, I get two options
    1st reinstall - which warns me this will wipe the HD

2nd Advanced only to be used by experts - when I load this option, it looks like it is going to ghost the machine and I'm not sure if it will wipe the HD

Any help will be much appreciated

Buck

12. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Welcome to the forums.

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can the sfc /scannow command not be used?

And welcome ! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is one of the reasons I don't like recovery disks - I would much rather have the original OS disk as with that you get the option to repair the install rather than wipe the hard drive completely.

You might want to contact the manufacurer and ask them how their recovery disk works, is there a way to do an OS repair, as there is no common way in which system builers create these recovery disks.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. BosonMichael

Agreed.

Can you press F8 during POST (repeatedly, if you must) and see if there's a repair option available? Only way I know of for sure is by using the original WinXP CD to boot.

16. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Cheers for the advice folks - I'll try your suggestion Micheal and let you's know how I get on.

Does anyone know which if any companies that give the proper OS disks rather then the back up/recover disk??

17. BosonMichael

We've always received them with our Dell PCs.

18. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello and Welcome

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685