Just IT Ltd

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by superhans, Sep 22, 2008.

1. superhans

superhans New Member

Firstly apologies if this has been aired on the forum previously I had no luck finding past posts using the search facility, maybe due to the generic terms in the training org's name.

I've got a degree in Business IT without any work experience in IT bar Level 1 broadband callcentre work (bit embarrassed to even put that.)

I'm determined to build a career in IT, beginning with IT support, but due to a fairly mediocre uni career I'm not really eligible for any graduate schemes.

Scouring some job ads I came across this organisation Just IT who offer a 'network professional program' offering training in A+ Windows XP, Windows Server and CCNA and the exams for certification all in just 11 weeks. They then offer recruitment services and a job guarantee of which I'm sure there are plenty of conditions. Cost is £4500, training is in London.

Just IT Network Professional Program

PDF of their intensive program overview

It sounds like a decent offering particularly for someone like me who is keen to get working in the industry as quickly as possible. I am concerned though that the time allotted to each exam would be insufficient and the trainee would suffer, perhaps gaining enough for the exam, but in the longer term would have difficulties.

Has anyone had any experience with this company or opinions on what they offer? Reviews on reviewcentre.com are fairly positive.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+, CCNA
  2. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

have a look at jbc computers - coventry.

u mite get on the student program for free. u get l2 and l3 nvq at the end of the 7 weeks.

as long as you are of 'grad calibre'.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I have never heard of them. Have you thought about self study? you'll save yourself about £4000 :D

Also the CCNA is for people who actually work with CISCO equipment and won't do your cv any good, it may actually harm your emploment prospects as employers know it is for people with experience.

For starter certs you should look at compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and the MCDST and go no further until you have experience in a job. The A+ is the basics of computing and the N+ is the basics of Networking, the MCDST is all about supporting XP and the applications which run on it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like £4500 for 11 weeks of education is too much for me believe.
    Now let's consider the certs mentioned... I can agree with the A+ as the first cert to tackle but the others aren't newbie certs. I can't say much for MS certs, the CCNA isn't likely with 11-weeks training with no previous Cisco background. Not to mention the "11 weeks" the company told you would cover all the certs!

5. greenbrucelee

unless they are using BDs :blink and if they are you should definetly stay away.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what's been said already.

To be honest, I would rather put that £4500 towards a MSc in IT part-time over 2 years than pay for a hand full of certs with on experience. 11 weeks is quite packed for the certs that they promise to deliver.

I'm a part-time IT lecturer (currently taking a break from teaching) teaching MS courses and the time frames that they give are what MS recommends for people already doing the job in the first place. Without the experience, I can guarantee, you will struggle. Added to that, it looks like you pay a company to send you home to self-study 1/2 the time, then you get to work for free for up to 2 months (classed as work placement - I do believe there is no legal obligation to pay someone who is on work placement), then even though it guaranteed that you'll get a job after the "course program" - it can be up to 18 months. I'm sorry but if a person can't get any job within 18 months, something is definitely wrong (unless you can get it in writing, while it does say a job - it does not state a job in IT).

To bad you're not in our area, you could pay us the £4500, with that we'll send you on 2 MS courses, 1 comptia course & 1 BTEC/Cisco course at our local college (a value of approx £1700 - this includes the exams). Then we will offer you a 6 month work placement (of course we won't pay you, because we do not need to). You get the certs, the experience and 2 references - one from a MCSE and one from a MCSA. We earn £2700 and a free person for 6 months. Plus I can guarantee that you'll get any job within 18 months - regardless of what field/area it is, and if you don't accept it, then it's you're fault and we're not liable.

Don't sound right, does it?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, not enough time, especially for someone just starting out in their IT career.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. superhans

superhans New Member

Thanks a million to all for their consideration and advice on this. Big help. Special mention to Ken for the summation above, very well put.

I'm in selection at the moment for a grad scheme with Fujitsu Services which could be the answer to my prayers. Full training and certifications provided etc. Regardless I'm going to tackle A+ and N+ first as per Bruce's advice and try to gain some experience.

I hadn't considered the MSc option either Ken, cheers for that. I'll definitely look into it. May well be the wisest thing to plough thousands into.

Again, thanks everyone. You've been great.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+, CCNA
  9. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I do not think it is good idea to study with them. I had online conference with them about their program.
    They say that u will get greatest full version self-study software plus teacher who ring u every week to ask how do u do.However the software is originaly fromTestout.Have a look on http://www.testout.com
    u can get 21 days free trial from them. The difference is that the Testout software cost much much less.
    A+ for example cost £120.Just IT ask u to pass 5 exams and pay £4000+. U can get the same from Testout for around £500. And if u need someone to call u every week how is going u can ask u friend than.

Another thing is they guarantee job for u. But...I have asked them for detail contract which they send me.
    In the contract u can read that u can get job only if u pass all 5 exams on time = 90 days after compleeting the course.The exams are : A+ Essential 220-601, A+ IT Technician 220-602, Windows XP Pro 70-270, Windows Server 2003 70-290 and CISCO 640-822.
    If u can do it after 11 weeks study than well done.But most people just do not pass all exams = no job guarantee and it is all fine from their side.

If u still want to try than go there and take free trial lesson.As well they have got part time offer which takes 1 year of studying, that is more time and more likely u will preapare for all 5 exams. Even so I think 1 year it is not enough to become qualified IT Technician or Network Administrator.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter whether you pass the exams or not... there are a million loopholes to "job guarantees". A company could:

- give you a job unrelated to IT
    - give you a job making less than you can afford to make
    - give you a job in an area of the country to where you can't afford to commute or move to
    - give you a job with a company or with a boss whom you'd never have agreed to work with in the first place (remember, an interview is a two-way street... you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you)
    - give you a job where unreasonable expectations are placed upon you

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee

and to add the old "you don't live in the correct geographical area for any jobs" crap.

12. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Please explain past the iceberg tip :biggrin

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Basically, if there's a loophole, they can use it and "legally" fulfill their promise:
    - getting you an IT job for one day, one week, one month
    - requiring you to work an unpaid internship before getting the chance to apply for a full position
    - giving you a job without benefits (or with benefits of little use or are too expensive to afford)

...use your imagination. If they don't spell out the exact terms of the employment, they can basically give you whatever they want you to have at whatever terms they specify, and they have technically fulfilled their promise.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

My advice mate is stay away from Just I.T. I was invited to their offices and got the impression they just wanted my money; the woman was so admant that I sign this bank loan form thing on the day. The certifications were no way worth the money. I also did a google search on Just I.T and came across a few peeple saying their were offered jobs ranging from £14-16k - not worth it in my opinion.

Like the other guy said, JBC computers would be better, they offer a practical way of learning (lab work - setting up networks, configuring routers etc) but the downside is in-house certiciations :S

I'm so far using CBT Nuggets, I'm finding this an easier way to learn at your own pace and the topics are broken into short 'nugget' sized videos.

Hope this helps :D

WIP: A+, MCDST
  15. Cozzy

Cozzy New Member

Having read all of the above I have to disagree. One and a half years ago I actively made the decision to make a career change and approached Just IT for the same training course you mention above.

I signed up for the course, finished it and have been employed in the IT industry since. Admittedly. it's not cheap and not for everyone; being intensive gives you little time to study inbeween exams which if you stick to the 11 weeks this equates to one week study and 1 weeks revision with an exam at the end of the week - noway enought to learn and pass Cisco but it's upto you when you book these and you are free to do so when you are ready. I worked bloody hard and managed to stick to the 11 weeks but that's your choice.

My experience was a good one, they offered CV writing assistance and soft skills training,which coming from a recruitiment background I didn't really require but many people on the course benefitted from this. I was interviewed during the course and gained a job paying >£20K straight away.

In-fact, from our current IT team of four people - three of us completed the course at just IT and have twice used students on the course to assist with office reshuffles etc giving them experience of the working environment.

It depends on what works for you, self study is cheaper with little time constraints but you need resources at home and self discipline for this to work which not everyone has.

I hope this helps

C

Certifications: A+,70-290,70-270, CCNA
  16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Interesting comments and nice to see the other side of things from a happy customer. We're all a bit quick to trash the TP's but for some they do what they say and do work. Self-study won't suit everyone and so it's good to see a positive slant even if you might be a student in the minority overall.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  17. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Hm, why most of Cozzy post regards Just IT or how he menaged to finish course in 13 weeks and got a job? Have a look at his posts...

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's called 'bias'.

A lot of the forum members self-study and therefore we see the benefits of it and prefer it to training providers.

Cozzy used a training provider and is therefore more inclined to sing their praises.

Each to their own and all of that.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

Cant comment on the training itself but we used to regularly take work experience people from JustIT. Some good, some not so good. However when 1 member of the current team was leaving and if we had a good person from JustIT at the time, they would pretty much get the job. So I guess it is just another path to get a foot in the door somewhere (if not an expensive one)

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  20. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

What planet are you on, if at all, anything to do with CISCO is a bonus, its even in the top 10 most sort after IT positions, so cant look bad on your cv.

WIP: A+