Just had my Computeach visit

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by davepuma, Mar 9, 2006.

1. davepuma

davepuma New Member

Hi,

I had my visit from Computeach yesterday afternoon. Although the presentation videos and leaflets are a high standard, the actual presentation/interview/discussion given by their rep was a joke.

I was told my Computeach on the phone prior to arranging it that someone with IT experience who had worked in the IT industry would be advising me and discussing whether I would be suitable etc. It quickly became apparent the guy was clueless and he was really unimpressive both in his appearance, attitude and most importantly knowledge of the subject matter. Whenever I asked a question about a particular course, qualification or job within the industry, I got a very simplistic answer that anyone with half a brain could have given. He simply didn't answer any of my questions to my satisfaction and wasn't qualified to be advising me on anything as important as a course that could lead to a life changing career.

Mid-way through the interview (which I couldn't wait to end) I enquired what his backround in IT was, so I could figure out whether he was qualified to advise me or recommend one course over another. He was a salesman (and a poor one at that!) and had no backround in IT. I thought to myself "no sh1t Sherlock" and had kind of figured that out or myself. The courses that I was looking at looked well structured and so on (from what I could see) and attending some classroom time would probably be beneficial, so it does look worth doing (the prices are questionable though!). However, he wasn't able to provide me with any course materials to look at, only pictures from leaflets and his presentation. He said I was the first person to ask. I severely doubt that. I said I would hardly commit myself to that sort of coin without actually physically seeing what I get for my money.

It was embarrassing really. I just wanted him to leave and despite a few hints, he just sat there silent. When I said I wasn't prepared to spend £5k on a course (A+, MCSA, MCSE) at the moment, he quickly recommended another course for £2.5k. I knew from the start, I didn't want to touch them with a bargepole but that confirmed it. When I asked to see the Terms and Conditions, he was very defensive and said I was looking for a catch! Of course, I'm looking for a catch, ya buffoon. I'm not going to spend the price of a second hand motor without reading the small print.

If Computeach are the market leaders in IT distant learning, I hope that is an isolated incident and he's a one off. However, I have just started doing my A+ using Mike Myers book to see how committed I am to home learning and I'll take it from there. Ultimately, I want to do MCSA/MCSE in the future but I for one, won't be going near Computeach. Before anyone gives me a hard time, saying that I am rubbishing them in favour over another company, I would safely say that any company that sends 'an advisor' to your home will be the same.

All, I can say is to anyone thinking of going to any of them, is do your homework and speak to someone that is either doing one of the courses or even better, someone that has completed a course and is hopefully working in the industry. Take everything you hear with a pinch of salt especially projected earnings and guaranteed job opportunities.

Rant over!

2. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

I agree with you totally there mate I found the whole thing laughable, I actually went to the Computeach centre in Dudley and was bored 2 hours with their "Tour" and history etc etc.
    "We've been teaching people how to fix PC's since 1960 something", and I thought thats funny cos I thought PC's only orignated since the 80's but who am I?
    I just did not feel comfortable with any of it so walked away happy that I had saved myself alot of time and money.
    I have since been studying A+ with my local college.
    Passed my OS exam with my hardware exam on 1st April. Enjoying the course but am starting to feel like I could of passed this course reading my Mike Meyers book.
    When I pass I am going to try the Network+ book and then book an exam and see how I go, At least that way ill save myself £375.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Very constructive post!

Hope all is going well with your A+ studies 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

looks like you have figured out the training game.. if i understood correctly you self-studying for the A+ right? Then whats stopping you from getting N+ and eventually MCSE self-study? I too was clueless baboon about server OS but now ill slug away slowly until i get my cert and more importantly the knowledge! If there is a will there is a way!

You will save a fortume self-studying so look around.. look at book prices and other materials you will spend on self-study then compare it to the prices from trainers! :eek: you will have 1000's!

Good luck on the cert journey and dont forget there were lots of us in the same ship not so long ago! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Dave you are probably lucky that the guy you met was not a polished salesman. A good salesman would have convinced you to join up, that is how they make a living, by selling things to people that they don't really need.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi there, I have heard on the grapevine that Computeach have just had a load of directors resign and that they could be in financial difficulty. Has anyone else got any info on this

7. shambles

shambles Guest

here you go...

FILING DATE FORM DESCRIPTION
    09/02/2006 288b DIRECTOR RESIGNED
    08/02/2006 288b SECRETARY RESIGNED
    08/02/2006 288b DIRECTOR RESIGNED
    21/12/2005 288b DIRECTOR RESIGNED
    21/11/2005 288b DIRECTOR RESIGNED
    22/09/2005 395 PARTICULARS OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE
    02/08/2005 288c SECRETARY'S PARTICULARS CHANGED
    02/08/2005 363s RETURN MADE UP TO 27/06/05; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS;SECRETARY'S PARTICULARS CHANGED
    27/06/2005 288a DIRECTOR APPOINTED
    14/06/2005 288a DIRECTOR APPOINTED
    13/06/2005 AA GROUP OF COMPANIES' ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 31/12/03
    29/04/2005 395 PARTICULARS OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE
    21/03/2005 288a DIRECTOR APPOINTED
    11/03/2005 288c DIRECTOR'S PARTICULARS CHANGED
    26/10/2004 287 REGISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 26/10/04 FROM:SUITE 210 COBORN HOUSE3 COBORN ROADDOCKLANDSLONDON E3 2DA
    14/10/2004 287 REGISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 14/10/04 FROM:PO BOX 51UNIVERSITY HOUSEDUDLEYWEST MIDLANDS DY3 2AG
    27/08/2004 169 £ IC 12000/1040029/07/04£ SR 1600@1=1600

Information from Companies House showing resignations and company accounts overdue from 31.12.04 onwards. Doesn't necessarily mean they are in trouble, though...

8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

What they said.

If you need classroom stuff (and I can recommend it) try a search for, perhaps, MCSE or maybe Comptia on, let's say, everybody's favourite auction site.

Then sit at home and take it all in.

£5000?

£50 all in.

You know it makes sense. :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  9. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Thanks mate yeah all is going fine thanks.
    I undertook the A+ at my local college which I have enjoyed but as most of it has been studied at home I beleive I could of just studied the Mike Meyers book I got for crimbo and then booked the exam which is what I am going to do with the Network+ next.
    I just never felt right about Computeach or Scheidgger when they both tried to sell me a course.
    I always tell myself that if it dont feel right it probally aint!!! :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  10. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

seems you just had a very poor person come round. i had a very knowledgable person who was able to answer any questions very quickly and in detail.

11. postal postie

haha. i just posted on the compu teach site in the 'admin' section about the directors resigning.

i wasn't confrontational. just basically asked if it was true and how it would affect us.

they removed the thread...

12. shambles

shambles Guest

you are a wag.... :biggrin

13. postal postie

Moderation - We have changed this thread and provided a statement
    that answers the questions raised.

Over the past few months, Computeach has gone through significant
    changes. The reason for this is a desire to ensure that we continue to
    focus on those areas of training provision and support that are core
    to our business and continue to deliver the most up to date, innovative
    and quality IT training for both consumers and businesses.

Many of these changes were driven following our decision to close
    the learndirect subsidiary, this was a business that was outside of
    our main focus and this has led to a restructure in some other areas
    of the business, but we are absolutely confident we have the right
    resources and focus for the future. Computeach will affirm this
    when it posts this year?s accounts.

Computeach is investing heavily to ensure students have access
    to the latest technologies, courses and trainer support. Looking
    back on our 40 year history, we are now seeing more customers,
    higher pass rates and more course completions than ever before.
    Computeach is and will remain at the forefront of technology-based
    training by delivering distinctive and award winning IT training.

If you would like to discuss this with anyone at Computeach,
    please contact customer services at

Here we are. official reply.

14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK now i would be worried if i had paid... but i havent so i wont.
    Why?
    Well in that statement from computeach it says they closed the Learndirect subsidary.... I am doin the Leandirect ICT network course as an aid to my Comptia N+ studies. Hadnt realised they belonged to computeach. If i had wouldnt have bothered me as it is a short course and as im unemployed i didnt have to pay for it... But still, for anyone else on thier Learndirect courses does that mean they have to stop?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  15. postal postie

my take on it is that rather than 'closing' it they are 'winding it down'.
    i know they used the word 'closing' but i'm sure that just means closing to new customers but they will still support they're current ones through to completion.

i've just got an email from computeach though saying that they will phone me to discuss any concerns i have as i was the one that brought the problem to notice within the official site.