Just had a scam phone call

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ericrollo, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I have just had a very very suspicious phone call from a call centre probably in India/ Pakistan saying that my computer is downloading and sending "malicious files" on the internet.

They told my to check Event Viewer and said that all those warnings are infections.

The scary part is that they knew so much information about one of my family members.

Should i inform the police, they withheld their phone number.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I wonder what information they had about the family member. This definitely sounds like a variation of a scam going around in the UK and US. They ask you to either go to a site to input information and download something or they try to get you to allow them to do a remote assistance or remote desktop connection. Here's a thread about it: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...y/thread/4489f388-d6de-416d-9158-0079764bb001

Not sure it'll do any good to alert the authorities but you may want to consider it anyway since they did have some personal info but I wonder if it was something that could have been learned on a social networking site like facebook or with a a bit of research on Google. There's so much information available out there some for free and some if you are willing to pay a bit and maybe bend some rules.

What were they trying to get you to do?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes its exactly the same as that site but i could not get any real information about who they were and where they were from. Apparently the mans name was "William Chesterfield" and he was from Bradford lol.

No idea where they got all of our details from.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah good old social engineering, you won't find them. The best thing you can do is email your Security manager and ask that he forward on a Warning to all users of your business. Tell friends and family also. Its a piece of slash to get your info. Do you have your own website Joe? A personal one? I could probably find your address out from that if I wanted (which I don't)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs