Just found this great job vacancy

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Candidates must have proven experience in a similar role. Providing support to corporate clients with problems ranging from basic user account issues, through to remotely resolving . complex server outages.A thorough understanding of Microsoft operating systems, from Server 2003 and Windows XP to current editions is required.The successful candidate must be capable of installing, configuring and supporting a Windows server based network within a virtualised environment.Any experience of Citrix, SQL, and Watchguard firewalls would be beneficial although not essential.

Wage: Minimum Wage

The job market must be shot if they can fill this vacancy

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I guess they will find out the hard way, a stop gap for someone out of work, or a stepping stone if they take a chance on someone.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd do all that for minimum wage.

Not very well, obviously...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. ericrollo

How do you find someone with that many skills and experience who is trustworthy, reliable and willing to work for minimum wage in the UK.

How is that even good practice for a business.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That was my point rather.

Two things tend to happen:
    1) Employers over-spec their job descriptions to include all the things they'd like to weed out the riff-raff and leave them with fewer applications to sift through. You never know, they might just hit jackpot and get someone who can do (most of) those things. You also need to bear in mind that the person who lists the requirements may not be the person who pays the salaries. The IT manager wants someone with those skills, the HR manager wants to pay minimum wage.

2) People get desperate and take any job they can find after being made redundant. Beats being unemployed for some. There are also quite a few people prepared to take minimum wage in order to get on the career ladder (you can of course argue that this job isn't entry level). And even if you have been unemployed for a while waiting on that elusive third line position, sooner or later the job centre will politely invite you to take a minimum wage job and f*** off.

Either way, the business usually ends up the winner. That's why they keep doing it.

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I enjoyed reading your post........ just thought I'd share that :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Got a link for that job posting Eric? Because it looks remarkably like this one...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more. I think some busineses are taking advantage of the jobs market being satuated with IT professionals out of work and willing to do anything to weather the storm until things improve. Really crap situation but they can and do get away with it. Hopefully the company will get someone who shafts their system up to teach them a lesson of not being tight.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats certainly not "minimum wage"

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

i saw that this morning in a paper i was thinking of applying to see what it was about, to see if there was a mistake. If this is the same job it wasn't through a agency.

[its not the same rather very similar]

must be that north south divide growing again

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

they will probably fill it! whether it will be the right person for the job is another question ::oops:

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. michael78

Yeah could be a mistake as I saw a few jobs years ago with a salary of £1 per annum :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  13. ericrollo

No i got it from the job centre.

But yes i think that is the same job just on a lot more money.

14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I saw one with a salary quoted as £1 - £100,000 DOE recently. Thats one hell of a salary range.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are some shocking standards in job ads out there.
    Considering that they're likely to bin your application if you make a spelling mistake it doesn't seem fair really.

I've seen job descriptions with typos, EVERYTHING IN UPPERCASE and followed by too many exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really not sure what sort of person they're aimed at - or maybe it just explains why half the vacancies advertised are for 'recruitmant consultants'. :rolleyes:

16. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I wish nobody applies for jobs like those so they don't continue to put ads like that again.
    It is taking advantage of current situation in job market and it is disgusting.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  17. michael78

Maybe the job centre are taking a finders fee off the salary :biggrin looks to me like it's a typo as they are taking the you know what if it isn't.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just like techs taking advantage of a tech shortage in a job market to make piles of cash? Or do you not find that just as disgusting? :rolleyes:

Double standards FTL.

Personally, I don't find either to be disgusting. If someone is willing to work for those wages, and they're able to do the job to the company's satisfaction, then fair game to the company who pays that little. If nobody is willing to work for those wages, and companies have to pay a large salary to fill the position, then fair game to the tech who can get that much.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

If i didnt get this job, I would have worked for free to get into 3rd line tbh

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You made a spelling mistake there Jonny. It's 'Recruitmant Consultents' :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em