Just bought this book - Windows Server 2008 R2 Secrets

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by onoski, Jun 17, 2012.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Recently decided to upgrade my MCSE 2003 to MCITP SA/EA and most of the MS certication training books on Amazon had weak reviews. However, after doing some more research found the book link below: Windows server 2008 R2 secrets, although this is not a certication training guide book it would suffice me.

Amazon.com: Windows Server 2008 R2 Secrets: Orin Thomas: Books

I opted for this book because reading the reviews just goes to show that it's for windows server administrators with years of experience and not a training cert study guide type of book. This would do me as am no beginner but indeed a learner as in IT technology of today is obsolette tomorrow.

At work I have been deploying Windows server 2008 R2 in our VMware environment as well as on some of our rack and blade servers. I must say I do like what I have seen so far with windows server 2008 R2 version both the 32 and 64 bits.

I bought this on the kindle version and installed it on my Ipad as am moving away from paperbacks as they're are too bulky and take up too much room. Anyway, let me know if you were to buy a windows server 2008 R2 book if you'd buy this or another and your reasons. Thanks for reading and contributing to CF:) as I noticed postings have not been what they use to be like.

I now have a six months old baby son and take a lot of my spare time and rightly so as that's my excuse for not contributing as much but have been visiting in the background.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Server 2008 R2 Group Policy + Windows 7 just do not work well together. Half the settings are missing that were in 2003 + XP. Lots of registry tweaking instead of a simple setting change in GP. Mega headaches for admins!

The book does look handy though! :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Cheers for that SimonV, that has helped me tremendously with a work issue I had!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No worries mate, glad it was helpful. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. AdamV

AdamV Bit Poster

Thanks for the tip - I'll certainly be looking that one up.

How does it score as a Kindle edition? I too like to reduce the load on my bookshelf, mainly because the daily reference stuff sits right above my head. But I am always a bit concerned about books formatted for dead trees not working so well in a re-flow style, especially with big diagrams, screenshots or even just tables. Has this one been well formatted or is it just a dump of the paper version onto a smaller screen?

Certifications: MCT, MCSA:Messaging 2003, MCTS:Dynamics CRM 4.0 and 2011; MOS: Master Instructor 2003, 2007
    WIP: Writing CRM 2013 Customization course. Planning to take all CRM 2013 exams ASAP