Just back from my job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, May 11, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

So i went to the job interview which is for a little above minimum wage working at an ISP/ Data centre (Actually advertised for less than what i am on now but i would really like to work in a data centre and the office and people were really nice)

It was only an initial interview and i had an assessment which was loads of multiple choice questions.

Most of the questions focused on Windows Server, Exchange and quite advanced networking questions, Most of which i have never ever done. The pass mark was 80% i would be lucky to get 50%.

One of the questions i had absolutely no idea what any of the multiple choice answers were let alone which was the right one.

I did know at least two questions for certain.

The person who gets this job really deserves to work in IT, but it probably wont be me.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You never know mate, stay confident. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. ericrollo

Its like an entry level server administrator job.

4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Eric,

Have do you have a lab up and running at home? if not, try and get one going using Vmware Workstation. And if you can afford it, get a technet subscription so you can get exposure to as many technologies as possible. It always helps to know what they can do, what they are for, and how to use them, even if you have no actual production experience with them.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. ericrollo

My computers are really awful i have not had a new computer for about 4 years now, im still running XP at home i tried vista but it was to slow. A new computer is a high priority.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you already in IT, Eric, or are you just now applying for your first IT job?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you don't need Vista or windows 7 to setup a virtual setup.

I run a virtual setup running server 2k3, 3 copies of xp pro, ubuntu (that never gets used) and Windows 7.

Eric why not overclock your system to give it a bit more oomph or buy yourself a cheap setup, one with lots of RAM and a half decent cpu.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Great advice, mod's check westernkings account hasn't been hacked please, this can't be right.

I learned a lot through breaking VM's in my labs at work and at home. A technet subscription is a great way to get your hands on MS products and get support.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  9. ericrollo

Yes i have had a part time IT job now for a while.

10. BosonMichael

Are you getting any light server admin time in at your job?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

What kind of stuff do you do in your part time job Joe? Is it a support role?

12. ericrollo

Its doing technical support and customer service, but i have done all sorts including some really important things which are quite impressive. I also have a massive amount of responsibility.

Most of my work is Internet related and absolutely no Microsoft support.

13. BosonMichael

Going straight for a server admin job without server admin experience will be difficult, because you'll likely be competing against people who have a little server administration experience. If you were an employer, who would you hire?

If server administration interests you, I'd recommend getting a desktop admin or "Internet-related" job where you can help administer servers. Then you can start building that experience.

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ha ha!
    You evil ****! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. ericrollo

It was not advertised like this at all lol.

I think the job was called IT Help Desk Engineer, and it only asked for a knowledge of internet connectivity.

I was literally shocked by the questions.

16. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I try my best, me and Western have a bromance going on so its all good.

Sorry to hear the questions went above your head Eric but at least you already have your foot in the door which is the main thing. Are you doing any studying at the moment?

17. ericrollo

Yes my HND, if i don't get this job (Which after today is very likely) i will be doing a lot more.

18. BosonMichael

Wow, I can understand why! :)

Eh, chin up... you'll get there. :)