Just a few questions

Discussion in 'A+' started by raggedranger, Sep 5, 2007.

1. raggedranger

raggedranger New Member

Hiya guys, i'm a bit new here, been browsing around for the past few days to get some ideas of how the A+ exam works, how hard it is, and how to go about self-studying for it.

I'm a bit bermused as to some practice questions found on websites, some are very technical, while others are reasonably simple, i've been scoring between 65 and 85%, with just my life experience and a brief glance at Mike meyers and the CompTIA A+ all in one study guide.

My question is, how technical are the questions going to get?

am i required to be able to read off answers from my head regarding technical specs of all connectors (SCSI, Firewire, RJ-45)

I'm struggling to get to grips with how much i'm going to actually have to know from memory to pass the exam.

I've just started studying, and have a fair bit of experience with what i would call the 'Basics' - Installing new HDD's, motherbords, Processors, and building PC's from scratch.

Is there a reccomended time frame that i should be aiming for? I currently work part time, so i have no problem dedicating 4 hours per day to studying,

I'm just looking for a good source of information for all of this, i've browsed the net for a while, but it seems to vary a lot dependant on the site you go to.

Any info would be awesome, from current students or proffesionals alike.

2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Raggedranger,

Self-study is not that difficult, but it depends on the person. With your experience, it shouldn't be that intimidating.

You can check out the resources at StudyNotes.com, they've got some pretty good study guides that follow the CompTIA Objectives pretty close.

You can also check out the resources at ProProfs. I was a moderator there for a time, and they've probably got the largest collection of self-study resources available.

http://www.proprofs.com/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=104&showentry=155

This link will take you to an entry in my blog there. I've put together a listing of mostly free resources for a number of certifications.

Hope it helps,
    Bill

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you have the MM all-in-one book then the tests that ship with it are very good approximations to the real thing.

But the exam *is* a mix of simple and technical!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome

I am going to be doing the exams soon for the A+

The essentials is more based on things like your approach to a customer with a problems mixed with operating system and hardware questions

the 602 is more based on operating systems and hardware

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. raggedranger

raggedranger New Member

Cheers for the information, guess i'll just have to read, re-read and memories the specs of it all, thinking about it, it doesnt seem too much, really.

from the looks of it, its just the specs for the PC components that i'm going to have to really knuckle down to, the rest seems to be fairly straightforward with my current experience,

Thanks for the warm welcome, hope to stay for a while :)

@hbroomhall - Cheers for the reassurance, after reading of scamming companies etc, i wanted to be sure with myself, that i was going to revise enough to cover the complex questions, and not just fall for the pretence of an easy exam.

6. greenbrucelee

You wont have to remember all the different types of CPUs and wattage etc

You will have to remember RJ-45 and RJ-11 and you will probably have to remember about EIDE and SCSI and RAID hard drives and about Master and Slave.

Allthough I havent done the exams yet I reckon I should do ok but I understand the concepts if you can understand the concepts of all parts of the Meyers Book then you should do ok.

You could get some practice exams to help you study also have you got the Meyers book theres a CD in the back of it with some Total Seminars practice exams on it.

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF raggedranger!

Not to be a pain GBL, but the 220-602 is more heavily marked on the customer questions then the 220-601. Either way, they are a pretty sizable part on the A+ as a whole if your taking that elective.

Good luck with your A+, raggeddranger, with your experience im sure you'll do really well :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. greenbrucelee

ok thanks for clearing that up dude,