Juniper VPN's

Discussion in 'Networks' started by morph, Nov 1, 2012.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

A quick question from a juniper newbie, ive joined a company who have alot of ssg20's. They normally use gui, and im ok having a look round that but to work out what i want to know i think i need to use command line which im more than happy to get involved in but want to ask a question.
    If two VPN's are configured, and the metric for an internal route over the VPN is the same for both VPN's how do I know which VPN the traffic is going down as both VPN's are up. For normal internet traffic i can do a trace route which will show me the public ip of the router and i can work it out from that, but with regard internal routes over VPN is there a quick way to show this - i just want it to tell me traffic for say 192 network is going down tunnel 1 or tunnel 2 - routing table shows default routes opint to both tunnels with an equal metric.

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi Morph,

So your working in a mainly Juniper evironment with SSG's I see, well as far as I can advise I don't use much Juniper (more Checkpoint man myself) but we use NSM to manage our customers VPN's its a much easier way to manipulate the whole network + its a GUI so noob friendly :).

In terms of getting stuck into the command line I would advise picking up a ScreenOS / Netscreen cook book if you want to go down that route, when talking about route preferences you can use VPN monitoring to see which routes are being used. I'm guessing you have 2 routes being used that are going out of the same tunnel?

If you have a Juniper account I would advise having a look on their Knowledge base, its very good. :)

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+