Juniper firewalls

Discussion in 'Networks' started by morph, Sep 13, 2012.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Got a new job with some heavy Juniper FW stuff going on, so all good in the hood, im diving into this - from what I can tell the SSG 5 is the smallest FW they do - so i was going to try and grab a couple of ebay to haev a play with - anyone have an experience with Juniper - i know CLI can be a bit non-cisco (which is what im use to)!

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

hi Morph,

Do you know what type of Juniper's your new company have in prod? I have used the SRX devices quite a bit, which run JunOS, not done so much work with the SSG's. I believe SSG's are now EoS and replaced by the SRX devices. If it was SRX you use, the smallest would be the SRX-100.

CLI wise it is different to Cisco, but just as easy to get to grips with. I really like JunOS to use.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

mainly ssg5 ssg20 and ssg140 :)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi Morph,

Juniper's ScreenOS CLI is quite logical and just uses 'get' instead of 'show' and 'set' to make a change to something.

I use the SSG firewalls on a day to day basis, we have a few customers out in the middle east that use the SSG350M as well as NSM to manage these.

I would advise if you want to learn do the following:

1. Get hold of a firewall - NS5GT is a great firewall that you can use at home (you have ADSL right?), you can do PPPoE.
    2. I have some official Juniper corseware I can email over to you if you wish, its a detailed lab guide and goes from explaining the concepts of zones and VR's all the way to route and policy based VPN's.
    3. Break it, Fix it, Break it again, and fix it. (DO NOT DO THIS IF IN PROD ;) )

PM me if you need any help.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+