Jumping to Linux

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Josiahb, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

I've been doing some serious re-evaluating of my career path with all the recent developments and changes in the Microsoft world. Microsoft's current push to get SMEs moving into the cloud etc doesn't sit well with me and I'm considering looking at moving more towards the world of Linux system administration.

The question is how would I go about making the jump? I've spent time personally mucking about with Linux on my home machines, my personal laptop actually runs it as the primary OS as its far less resource intensive on my ageing hardware. I've never used it in a commercial environment however, so how do I turn 'mucking about' into measurable skills?

I've been looking at the CompTIA Linux+ as an option but would I be better going for the LPI certifications directly? Then of course there are the vendor specific certs like those offered by Red Hat.

Anyone successfully made the jump from Windows to Linux professionally? Any Linux sys admins can suggest what they would be looking for if they were hiring?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I would be interested in hearing what others have to say on this. I have also looked at the CompTIA Linux+

I also use Linux as my primary OS, Arch Linux to be specific. I have deployed LAMP and Samba File Servers at various workplaces.

Have you deployed Linux in the workplace yet? Perhaps replace an old Print Server or add some extra storage with a Samba File Server to give you some real-world experience. Then back it up with whatever certifications suggested I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Would absolutely love to do this, my current manager however is 100% Windows focussed and unwilling to entertain deploying anything else to our clients. Combine that with the fact that of the engineers here I'm only one of two who has any knowledge or experience of working with Linux. Makes it a pain in the arse to get buy in on deploying anything else.

Bit daft really when you consider our sister company provide web hosting which is almost 100% Linux based, think they've got 3 servers running Windows and they are all for our support clients....

4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I have slowly moved away from Windows based environments. I started as you did by playing around with various different distros at home. I slowly built up my skills in various different areas in support. I then got offered a job which included Red Hat, Windows and VMware. You just have to show you have a willingness to learn and improve your skills. My current job is Mac, Red Hat, Gentoo and some virtualisation. I have no Linux certs although i would be interested in doing some at some point. When I get time I'm going to look more in to the security side of things.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Ok, in lieu of certifications etc, anyone know of any good free online Linux training? Although I've been playing around with various distros and googling things when I need assistance I'd like to get a better handle on things with some 'proper' training. At the moment of course I have a budget of absolute zero!

6. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+