Juggling Interviews? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zet, Dec 22, 2010.

1. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hey guys,

Okay my current situation is as follows:

- I've had 1 interview where I'm awaiting a reply.
    - I've got 1 interview where I'm at the 'third and final stage' (rescheduled for January)
    - I've got 2 interviews in January
    - I've got 1 phone interview (rescheduled)

So, my problem is how do I go about juggling these interviews? My first problem is that the 'interview i'm awaiting a reply from' may make an offer, however this job isn't my first choice. The two interviews I have in January are what I'm hoping for. Is their anyway I could delay my decision if I'm made a job offer?

My second problem is that when I attend an interview or I get called up, I get asked if I'm interviewing for other jobs. I don't like to lie so I say 'yes'. Is this a negative thing to do? Could I use this as leverage?

Oh and how long before an 'employment gap' begins to look bad? I graduated in October and its now coming up to January.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I think it is best to be honest when they ask you if you are interviewing with someone else. What have you been doing since January?

If it is looking for work or studying then I think in this climate it will be acceptable.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. zet

zet Byte Poster

If I let them know I'm interviewing with other companies (which I usually do) does that make it seem like 'oh, he may take a better offer so no point in wasting anymore time with him' ? Also, I meant I've been looking for working since October...it's now going to be 3 months this January.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No - it's more like, "this guy (girl) may take another offer, so if we really want him (her), we don't want to dawdle and risk losing him (her)."

On the other side of the coin, if I know you're not interviewing with other companies, I can 1) take my time, and 2) initially offer you less money, knowing there are no other companies for me to compete with.

In short, interviewing with multiple companies increases your leverage.

In any case, would you *really* want to work for a company that would discard you simply because you were motivated enough to apply for multiple jobs AND attractive enough to be desired by multiple employers?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best you can. I wouldn't recommend putting any of them off, if at all possible. If you must, delay the one you want the least or have the least chance of getting.

That's the risk you take. Do you risk the sure thing for a chance at a better thing? Nobody's going to be able to answer that for you - that's a decision you'll have to make on your own.

If you are offered a job, you can certainly delay your decision... but some companies aren't going to want to wait a long time for you to make up your mind. At some point, the employer will ask themselves, "Does this guy want to work here or not?"

It's different for every employer. The only thing that is certain is that the longer the gap is, the worse it looks (and the weaker your negotiating position becomes).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!