Joskos - Manchester

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by cwilmore, Jul 10, 2009.

1. cwilmore

cwilmore New Member

Hi there, after reading some of the reviews on this forum, I've decided to sign up and post. 8)

Basically, me and a friend are wanting to get into the ICT Industry with pref Microsoft Certificates. We both have knowledge of computers, but would like to take it further.

We called into Joskos, Manchester this week and spoken to a guy called David. He told us the course covers. MCDST, MCSA and MCSE.

after explaining the course etc, he then mentioned it would cost £6,499.

I was wondering what people think about Joskos, I've read some other threads about them, but can't really make my mind up as weather to spend that amount of money on a course that isn't going to be worth it.

ps - if you know of any 'decent' IT Training companies, could you please let me know :)

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

firstly that is a an outrages price secondly unless you have the proper on the job experience you should not be doing the MCSA or MCSE

The requirements for the MCSA state that you should already have 6 - 12 months experience as a network administrator as for the MCSE you should have 12-18 months experience of supporting a 250+multi user,multi server environment.

If you have non of this then these certifications will overcertify you for your experience level which mean it may be harder for you to get a job.

You should be looking at compTIA A+,N+ and MCDST and no further until you have on the job experience.

JOSKOS won't tell you this as they want money from you.

You don't need to do training courses with these expensive TPs you can get the books yourself and study and practice on your own. All these places do is give you some books anyway and they charge alot for it, the odd one might have a workshop or two but thats about it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. cwilmore

cwilmore New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like good advice/info you give. Could you give more info on 'compTIA A+,N+ and MCDST' and what we would need to do in order to study/gain qualifications. This would be really helpful.

The reason why i was considering Joskos is, I'm unemployed at the moment, and would really like to progress into an IT career. They said the cost of the course could be settled with a loan from an external company, and wouldn't need to be repaid until I'm earning 18k plus, at which he advised me I would be earning this from the start once they find me a job.

Any more advice or ideas would be great.

Thanks again for your reply,

Chris.

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Firstly, steer clear of this lot.
    Secondly: Browse the forums and use the search function. Most of the questions that are forming on the tip of your tongue (or fingers, should I say) right at this moment have been asked many times before.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ N+ and MCDST are entry level certifications designed to get you into IT.

Now here's the news you wont want to hear unless you are knocking of the IT boss it is very unlikely your first IT job will pay more that 15k a year, if you got 18k the you would be extremely lucky.

The A+ deals with IT basics from what and how ram works to how it interacts with the cpu. it also deals with how to use operating systems and what they actually do.

The N+ is networking basics and how it all works

The MCDST is supporting and troubleshooting windows xp and the applications that run on it.

Books you need for the A+ are: compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technican street smarts by James Pyles. Start with this first.

And BTW you do not need a course and you do not need to get into debt especially if your unemployed. I have never taken a course for any of my certs, I just got the books and studied and practiced

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. cwilmore

cwilmore New Member

Thanks again for your reply,

sounds like very good advice :)

Once I studied the said subjects, what direction would I need to go in order to get the qualifications?

Thanks again.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, if you want to give me £6,500 I will personally tutor you in your own home for four weeks a year :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. cwilmore

cwilmore New Member

I look at your qualifications in envy.. :cry:

9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

i think he just walked into a MS Cert store room, stole them all and stopped off at the ITIL store room on his way home :p:p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would check the small print on that just to be sure. There is only one person that can find you a job, that person is you. :biggrin

As said I would start off on the A+ cert. There is no reason to commit to to long list of certs while you are still finding your way in IT.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like an awful lot of money for that training course. I'd be interested to know exactly what you get for all that money. I'd want 1 on 1 tutoring throughout the whole course for that kind of money.

You may want to check out the many colleges in Manchester as some of them will no doubt offer IT professional courses. These would be tutor lead official MS courses and vastly cheaper than from a private training provider. It may be possible to get a discount on fees from a college if you are unemployed also.

It may also be worth having a look at Learndirect. They offer a whole range of IT Pro courses and should ve available for free given your circumstances. You should be able to find a centre close to you where you could go and use their facilities to train etc.. if you didn't have your own.

GL with whatever you decide, and for gods sake, make sure you pour over the small print if you do decide to part with your 6k. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. cwilmore

cwilmore New Member

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

I've been in college since leaving school, I applied for a 'hands on technical' IT course, the told me theyre wasn't such thing, so they shoved me on a course for Photoshop and Spreadsheets! Something I really didn't want.
    After that, I went into Motor Vehicle for two years, but that hasn't really been my cup of tea. I've been brought up around computers and know a fair bit, so now I'm 20, I'm thinking I really need to start getting on my feet if I want to Pursue an IT career.

I will try LearnDirect, thanks again.

13. rogerme

rogerme New Member

HI guys, i guess the previous posts were sent long back..I am thinking of joining Joskos for MCTS, MCITP courses. £700..would u think this would be beneficial?
    plz advice