Joining OSX clients to SBS domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have two clients (OSX 10.3) to join to a 2K3 SBS domain this afternoon and just reading the 23 page MS article on it. Lord knows what they are doing with these things, but I have been asked to join them up!

Some concerns already:

The administrator password for the Mac's
    Disabling SMB signing.

Any pointers?!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

We have about 100 OS X clients at my place, all joined to our Server 2003 domain. They are running 10.5, rather than 10.3.

For the Admin password, we just create an account, the one that is created during install, called something like Admin, and use a secure password, which is different to our Domain Admin password. Then just bind them to our Active Directory domain using Directory Utility (Directory Access in previous versions of OS X I think). Then its job done. One issue we have come across is the mounting of the users Home Directory. We found that if we user \\servername\sharedfolder\%username%, it doesn't want to mount, but \\servername\%username%, where the %username% is a shared folder, named after the user, with them having appropriate permissions to the folder, its fine - It mounts the folder on the desktop. It should work using the long path, but for some reason it doesn't - I dont know why, as Mac OS isn't my speciality.

The SMB signing issue - Haven't a clue mate.

HTH

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it you are reading the SBS guide mate? Ive followed it a few times and its been fine, not sure what version of the Mac OS it was though. Once sorted I left the building quickly before getting asked anymore Mac questions! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Urgh - Macs + networking.

I'd never have done that to you mate...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for the input, guy's - appreciated!

Once I found the # key (!) it was a matter of following the MS article to the letter (it was the SBS one, sparks) although there were a couple of issues, namely:

the article ommited the command to add the directory for the conf file
    some of the named utilities were not "quite the same" or in a slightly different menu/option
    Other than that, it went well - disabled the SMB signing in the end - new 2008 domain proposal pending.
    I am back there in the morning to sort some printers out for the mac's and check some of the back-up's.

JonnyMX - point taken! :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate, is the domain suffix .local? Used to cause big problems for the Macs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs