Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Apr 17, 2012.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How bad dose it reflect on a person if he takes a job then say 2 weeks later is offered another job and decides to take that ?? Whats the feeling in CF. Just asking as i may, be in that situation, although i wont count my chickens just yet

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Cunningfox likes this.
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess it depends on your reasons for wanting to leave.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

On the one hand, I guess it is immoral - but on the other, the second job is not likely to have been offered based on a reference from the first (meaning there is not likely to be an avenue for the current place to speak ill of you to the place you are getting the offer from). Usually, the initial time with most new companies is provisional both for the employer and the employee. So if they decide you are not right for the job or if you decide the job is not right for you, either can give a reduced amount of notice. I guess it all depends on the other offer and how you are finding the current place.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just to point out, i dont have a job yet, ive been looking for a bit now, in the meantime ive got work experience behind me which has helped immensely. I know the second job is the one id want maybe because its the place i did my work experience and also i know people so working there full time would make it easier for me to settle in.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's just one of those things.

I've worked in HR and seen both sides of the coin.
    So you get taken on, trained for a while, then something better comes up and you move on.
    The people who hired you may whinge a bit about having to go through the recruitment process again, and moan about the wasted cost/time of training you, but at the same time, they wouldn't hesitate to poach someone from another company under the same circumstances.

Most cases I've dealt with, the employer tends to be sympathetic.
    Be open and honest with them, give them plenty of notice, tell them you really appreciate the opportunity they have given you but something has come up with better prospects/more money/closer to home that you can't turn down.

If they really, really want to keep you they can try and do something about it such as offering work from home days or whatever. If they can't, or don't want to, they would have to be real b@5t@rd5 to be awkward about it.

You would obviously have to observe any terms of your contract, such as notice period - but you aren't going to get a bad reference or anything unless you have screwed up or handled it badly.

People always feel bad about telling their boss that they are leaving for better things, but what they tend to forget is that their boss would just love to be able to tell his boss the same thing...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

End of the day in this life you have to look after yourself as selfish as that sounds.

If the second job is better for you then you'd take it. 2 weeks is also easy to hide on a cv or when going for jobs in future if that bothers you, you'd not have to mention that role if you wanted.

At my previous company we had a guy start and leave within a week as he didn't like it and decided to go contracting instead.

I myself have ended up having a couple of quick role changes recently, was 5 months in a role then moved to another for 5 months and now just started another new one this week. All perm roles not contracts, but where I am now I'll be staying for a good long while :)

All big companies as well and they haven't minded the quick changes, especially as I've got decent reasons for leaving all of them :)

BigG likes this.
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've been in that situation before. worked at one job for 3 days before being offered a better role elsewhere.

I simply took the better job, and never mention anywhere that I worked at the other place (although I did work a notice period out of good will).

I never refer to it in my employment history, or cv.

8. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

What he said.
    Most places have an opt out whereby in the first 4 weeks either you or they can say "sorry this isn't working" and leave without any notice to be served.

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Personally I would only say it was unethical/immoral/unprofessional if you go for an interview or techtest or something similar AFTER you have accepted the first contract. I wouldn't look badly on someone who told me that they'd had the final interview for a job the day before I offered them one, then got offered the job two weeks later. That's an entirely believable scenario and, if they have good reasons for favouring the other job, best of luck to them.

Since you'd be going to the place that you did work experience at I'd be totally OK with it. A new employee is a gamble on both sides and I can't blame anyone for taking a "better the devil you know" approach to their first role.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about it either, the probation period companies give works both ways, if you want to move on to another job they'll just offer your role to the next person on the list.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Interesting thread, I was thinking of posting something similar myself after somehow landing a 2nd interview (though I was poor-average in the first) after accepting another offer. The original offer place might be a little peeved though as there is a ton of process currently underway to be complete before I can start. Still a 2nd interview doesn't mean I got it I spose.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Look after yourself but a bit of loyalty can go a long way I've found. If a company spends money on you, make sure they see something for it. If they don't, if they dont care if you stay or go, go. IT can be a small world at times so its important to not burn any bridges I feel. It could well be that if you approach your present employer with the details of the other job, they will match them. Just say you applied for both at the same time but the other job took longer to get back to you so you forgot about it.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs