Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ant2005uk, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Has anyone here actualley got a job through a training provider such as computeach or NITLC after completing a course with them?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not me m8, but I certainly managed to find myself my first job myself as a result of having undertaken studies using a Training Provider.

I would advise anyone signing up for a course with a provider to take a bucket of salt when promised "guaranteed employment" after one of their courses ! I am not in any way commenting on courses companies offer - just the promises they wrap them up in !!!

My 2€ [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

It is not fair how they do this how they lie to get you sign on the dotted line. I nearly fell for it myself, but before I commit to any course whether it be with computeach or nitlc or whatever im doing my research. I just wondered if anyone who went down this route actualley got a job through them as they promise LOL. Sure, having quals is a big help but at the end of the day surely its upto the individual to find a job.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I don't think they are actually lying as such, as they do submit your details to many companies after you have qualified in the certs they are providing you with, but given that you have to actually provide this list of companies to them in the first place, and after that, it is up to the companies to decide if they need any staff, never mind you, I think it is more than a tad questionable grounds to be basing a claim of "guaranteed emplyoment" upon !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to agree with Gav. Although my school never promised me a job, they still did have a career center that was supposed to help you get a job while in school or after graduation. I worked with them on some leads and even got an interview once, but no dice as far as a job.

My first jobs in IT were contract jobs. I was working a slave job at the Postal Service to make ends meet while going to school. I put my resume on Dice and Careerbuilder and got various calls from recruiters all over the country needing work done. Usually they were Ethernet rollouts, or OS and Hardware upgrades. I'd get permission to take off school if it was a one-day job but most were weekend gigs. Had to do an Ethernet rollout for a bunch of bank branches locally which involved installing and cabling Cisco switches and routers and working with the NOC and the Telco to upgrade the Internet connection for their ATM machines.

Eventually, it built up my resume and I started getting longer-term temp jobs...usually with HP since they have one of their printer divisions where I live, but I also spent 3 months on staff at the IT Department for a small city government while the regular person was out on maternity leave.

My first full-time permanent job (the one I have now), I saw on CareerBuilder's site. I had previously interviewed with the company (http://www.emergecore.com) for a support position but I was in school at the time and couldn't make my schedule fit theirs. This time around, my somewhat unique skill set (technical writing) served me well and they offered me the job a few days after the interview.

Probably more than you wanted to know. The point is, just because the school "promises" to get you a job, don't depend on them to do it. Use your own efforts as well. In my opinion, you're the one who's going get your own job in the end.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

It all sound very good from the training providers, but I gotta agree with the fellas above. I studied with NITLC and after getting my first MCP I was told that I am now employable within IT. Job offers coming err no. Fill in this very nice database with the details of 50 companies :blink and we will write a letter of introduction to them. That took ages and I never did send it in. Getting a job has got to be a matter of luck and persiverance.

Whilst they my say they can get you a job, read help there, their services such as CV's, interview techniques, letter writing and all that stuff is very helpful and you should be making use of that.

and that's my 2p's worth.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong