Jobs after Degree in Networking

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zimbo, Jul 19, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Uni's have just started offering degrees in Computer Networking and sometimes Security is offered with it and im thinking of coming to the UK from in cyprus to persue one- what are the job prospects of someone with a degree in this field?
    As well as the degree you will also get CCNA certified so thats a bonus.....

any one got some advice for me please? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry I cant help, I was just going through the unaswered posts and saw you hadnt had a reply.

Feel free to -BUMP- a thread after 24 hours if you dont get a reply.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I can't help with your specific question. I do have something to say about schools though. Before I would plunk down any money to any school I would want to talk to rather large cross section of graduates from that program. Here's why.

Although my experience is here in the US I would imagine schools everywhere are pretty similar.

My experience has been that there is a lot of difference in the quality of education that you get, and in how useful that education will be IRL, between schools. I've taken courses in my local area and I can't tell you how disappointed I've been with what has been taught, and how it's been taught. I took a javascript class from one local college and I can honestly tell you that the teacher had no practical programming experience. The class was taught from a book, by someone who had read the book. I basically had to teach myself.

I started into a 2 year networking degree at another local college. I lasted one semester because what was being taught, who was teaching it, and the quality of education left so much to be desired. It was not worth the $3500 a semester they were charging. The only class I can say I really learned a lot in was a math class, and that was taught by someone outside the actual degree program I was in. I got to know a lot of the second year students and not a one of them was satisfied with what they had learned. All of them felt cheated because the all the instructors, save one, were not knowledgable in their fields. Every one of the students said they could have learned more on their own. I know I've learned more on my own than I would have in program. I've gone deeper and further with everything so far except C++. I haven't taken the time to learn that, but the gal that was teaching C++ had been a cable TV technician and had no programming background so just who good of a class could it have been? None of the students I talked to who were taking the course while I was in the program were happy with it. They felt they were just being shoved through it and not gaining any real understanding.

Don't think that just because some school has a program that's it's going to be worth your money. Investigate each school's program thoroughly, and if the school won't let you talk to graduates of the program then I'd shy away from it really fast.

Now there is a school located about 100 miles from here that teaches network security and I've talked to somebody who graduated from there. That person was very knowledgable coming right out of school, and the program was taught by someone who had actually done what they were teaching. The students spent a lot of time in hand-on experimentation and learning. They come out of that program with real skills, not just a degree. There's a real difference between the two.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have no experience of how usefull these new Networking degree's are. But generally speaking, when people go for jobs in this country were a degree is a pre-requisit, the type of degree is usually irrelevant. They just want to know that you are capable enough to have the self discipline to pass one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada