Job search agony ended with suicide

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Apr 23, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Very sad story. There is no enough awareness of how jobhunt can affect people esspecially young like this.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/n...lled_herself_because_she_couldn_t_find_a_job/

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Read about this on sky and it's a tragic story.

I think your comment on 'awareness' is totally spot on for this day and age. I seem to remember back in the 80s that mainstream television really focused on unemployment and the affect it had on people! Programs like 'Boys from the Black Stuff', Brookside and even to a certain extent 'Bread' did bring the realities of unemployement in to our living rooms.

With unemployment close-ish to what it was 80s, the mainstream media hardly talks about it as a lot of soaps etc revolve around a 'job' of some sorts. I may be wrong on that but that is the impression I get!

Perhaps they ought to do a re-run of Boys from the Black Stuff as it was quite a sad program.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I understand her sadness... but no matter how bad it gets, suicide is never the answer. Suicide is a selfish act, giving no regard to the emotional and financial devastation that it leaves in its wake. Whether people realize it or not, there's so much to live for... particularly once you realize that life isn't "all about you". I wish she had chosen a different path.

My prayers go out to her family, friends, and boyfriend.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Whilst i agree with your statement.

That isn't how it works in the real world. People in that emotional state wouldn't be able to think as clearly as that their thinking becomes very narrow. Unfortunately the act of suicide tends to be a spare of the moment reaction, although thoughts of suicide is different as many people have thoughts but never act upon them. Hence often suicide does become a complete surprise to loved ones and can often be out of the blue.

I am afraid i have a lot of personal experience in this sad area.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Agreed. Its horrible, its selfish but to the person in question its all they can see. As much as we can wish for people to see a different path sometimes they simply can't.

My thoughts are with her family, friends and boyfriend.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. BosonMichael

No, it isn't how it works in the real world, because people have a "me, me, me, me, me" attitude. They think, "If I can't get THIS job, if I can't get THIS house, if I can't have THIS stuff, I can't deal with it - I'm just gonna take myself out." But if their mindsets were different - if their focus wasn't on self and how hard things are on them - their thoughts would never drift towards suicide.

Yes, it often is a spur-of-the-moment reaction. Still doesn't mean that it's not a selfish act.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

The selfishness of the decision is not really relevent.

Of course suicide is NEVER the answer. But the thing is, it's easy to say that when you are not in the situation where you are feeling like suicide IS the answer.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Col

Col Byte Poster

While I don't want to steam into what is obviously a highly emotive subject, I think it's worth reminding people that people in that kind of emotional state are often more than not just thinking clearly - they are sufferering from depression or other clinical mental conditions - ie. they are actually ill. Therefore I don't think they can really be 'blamed' for their actions any more than say a cancer sufferer can be...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Absolute shame really.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. BosonMichael

It's always relevant. Take a look at the family and boyfriend if you doubt the veracity of my statement.

And that's exactly why I mention it now... so that, should a forum member or visitor happen upon this thread, then fall upon hard times, perhaps they'll remember what I said. And if they want to know what I believe IS the answer, they can then ask me my opinion.

12. BosonMichael

Nobody's "blaming" anyone. Just saying that suicide isn't the answer, bro.

13. westernkings

This + 1

Suicide is NEVER the answer, that isn't debatable. Can we say that people should just not choose to do it, no. It's one of them things, it takes a lot of strength to kill your self, and it takes just as much to push through it and come out the other side.

Simple fact is, suicide is a response, not a solution or answer.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. Col

Col Byte Poster

No, of course not. It's just very tragic all round...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  15. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

But it's not relevent to the person willing to end their own life.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  16. BosonMichael

Of course it is. If they stopped to think for a moment about how their decision is *really* going to affect others, they might not come to the same impulsive, selfish, destructive decision.

Consider the suicide notes that the young woman left. She says she wants her friends and family to "be happy", basically saying, "I don't want my selfish decision to affect anybody else". Now, come on, Daniel, do you *really* believe that they're gonna be happy that they've lost their daughter or their girlfriend? Had she stopped to *really* consider how her action was going to affect the rest of their lives, she probably wouldn't have done it. Nobody could possibly believe that not being able to get a job is MORE stressful than losing a daughter or a girlfriend.

17. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Mental illness screws up your belief systems and clouds judgement, believe me, you can easily think people will be better of without you and that your only a burden. Of course its wrong, but that's what the suffer really believes and cant see any different at the time.

Its easy for people to say don't be silly, believe this and that... but it just doesn't work like that in most cases.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  18. BosonMichael

...and most people in the world don't have mental illness. I understand that people can have these problems, but with regards to THIS thread, it sounds like you're wanting to make excuses for this girl who, by all accounts, had no history of depression. Maybe she was clinically depressed... but that doesn't change the fact that she's left her family and friends devastated.

19. westernkings

Selfish is a subjective term depending on the persons personal feelings towards others, I don't particularly care about anybody else, so things that are selfish to others, I don't really consider selfish at all.

Humans are naturally selfish in one way or another, its a rare person that puts everyone else before themselves.

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I know people have committed suicide for various reasons, be that debt, love, loss of work, low self esteem etc, in all of them tho it could all have stopped if they had had a little more belief in themselves.

I have been in the situation where I didn't want to live anymore, where I quite literally could of killed myself there and then (it was a love thing), needless to say I didn't, I didn't even really try (well, not if you discount riding down the M4 at excessive speeds with raid boucing off the road to about a foot off the ground). Why didn't I? because whilst I was at my lowest point (ever), I still had a little self esteem left, I didn't want to be the cause of any heartache and I knew that whilst I hurt more than ever there was no reason for others to hurt because of me. It is selfish to take your own life but... I can understand why some people do whilst some people don't, it's really because of the lack of self worth and confidence, it's because all the knocks come at you and you can't take any more, those with a weaker head on their shoulders only think of the easy way out rather than the hard one and that's why the commit suicide.

I feel for the families of those who have killed themselves but I also feel for those who actually kill themselves as well, because with a little more help from others they may well not have done.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA