Job Question

Discussion in 'A+' started by fsimeta, Jan 9, 2007.

1. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Currently looking for an IT role, already have a job as a postie so that helps :)

Got a call today about a role with these hours, 6-2 2-10, saturdays and sundays, with days off in week 1 in 3...what does anyone else think?

Personally I think I prefer a 9-5 role to be honest.

Are there any "dodgy" (by this I mean, are there some "sharks" out there in IT?) 1st line helpdesk positions that are worked within this rota? Seems a bit long for what the cash was (around 12k+)

Any thoughts?

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not sure what you mean by 'sharks' and 'dodgy'?

To be honest, for those hours that is piss-poor money, even for first-line support.

Considering that must include some form of Shift Disturbance Allowance (since the start times of the shifts are more than four hours apart), I would imagine the basic is around 10.5k, and that is an utter disgrace.

I'd pass - there MUST be better jobs out there than this - if you;re a postie you've got a nice steady job at the moment and have time to study until you get more certs, or at least have the luxury of looking for a slightly better-paid role.

Just my tuppen'orth!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Thanks for your tuppen'orth zebulebu :)

I felt a bit funny with it anyway; and like you say for the hours, the money should accomodate for that. I think I will pass and do something more of my ilk, like what I REALLY want to do, which is network support, installation and XP support etc....

Fsi

By 'sharks' and 'dodgy' I mean..I've been in jobs where the job described isn't what I expected it to be; office jobs and the like; so I mean it sounded "dodgy" and felt like they were "sharks" employing little fishes :) (if that makes a jot of sense; try it again when drunk...)

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It makes perfect sense.

Just for info, 99.99% of IT jobs are like this - I've never been employed in a role where the employers were more than about 40% accurate in what they told me the job was going to be!

Like I said, the money's shite, the hours are shite and if, on top of that, you don't really want to do first line support, well then the job is shite!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's true then? I thought they were just trying to scare me away in the job interview when they said 'we want you to work 9 - 5.30, but sometimes we've worked till 1am....'

But IMHO on the shifts, they look like a common pattern to me (6-2, 2-10 are very 'norm' if you look in the jobs papers).

I'm also unsure, but I thought shift pay for these kinds of hours would be down to the employers discretion. It's not the difference in the shifts, but the times you are expected to work. Because 6am and 10pm are not technically counted as unsociable hours, shift pay is not obligatory. (I believe unsociable are before six and after 11).

But still, that pay was awful. Keep looking until you find a rung on the ladder you actually want to step on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Thanks for both your replies, it's good to have support from all you folks on this forum.

Makes you think again about choices you once thought were good.

Fsi

7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well keep at it!

Just remember that a year or two of experience and a couple of certs and suddenly the shoe is well and truly on the other foot.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff