job opportunities with security+

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jonatron5, Nov 12, 2014.

1. jonatron5

jonatron5 New Member

So this is whats happening.

Im a 19 yearold college kid and complaining about my job at walmart pushing carts. My uncle who knows im extremely tech savy for my age, says that the place he works starts people ofd with just a security +certificate for like 40k a year. With like an immediate raise if you work out for them.

Well upon hearing this and doing a little research I find out that (from the numbers I saw) average national salary for someone with a security+ certificate is 60 k. Without a college degree.

I find this slightly confusing. And almost too good to be true as my parents have a b.s. and a masters in there respective feilds ans 30 years of xp and they make a little over 60k.

So am I miss in something? Or am I going to be making an unrealistically lucrative amount of moeny (to a 19 year old kid living at home with no expenses)

I actually whent through with getring my certificate. And like my uncle said it was just about idiot proof to anyone woth an it background.I figure at the very least it might help me get out of walmart.

Now I understand that credentials plays a lot into it. So im just curious what pay I could expect assuming I could get my forst it job with my certificate. Being that my work history is walmart and macdonalds.

I have no official tech job experience.
    but ive built several computers including some high-end gaming rigs for my friends who have more money then I do.
    Im also routinely on call to fix anything that goes wrong ,set up wifi new tv's, etc

Also if it does turn out that 60k a year is a reasonable sum for an average level security + it tech, then is it even worth finishing my degree?

I dont mind getting other certs either becuase like I said the security one is supposedly one of the harder ones and it was litterally a cakewalk.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Security experts will command a good salary, passing Security+ does not make you a security expert.

Landing a security job with Security+ alone without nepotism isn't likely.

Security+ is not a tough cert. Building a PC is child's play.

Experience could be better than a degree depending on the degree, cost of the degree, and the type of experience.

I wouldn't quit the degree without a firm offer.

3. jonatron5

jonatron5 New Member

I mean im not expecting to get a security engineer postilion. but i am expecting like helpdesk work starting at like 40k i hope. maby moving up to the hardercore stuff?

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think the trouble with these salary surveys is that they ask security experts in this case how much they are on, and if they have Security+, or more likely a bot crawls CVs and notes that they have earned Security+ early on in their career most likely before they worked in the security field. I have it and have never worked in IT Security.
    I really enjoyed studying for this cert. Possibly my favourite, but it alone is unlikely to land you anything in my humble opinion. Couple it with A+ and N+ and you will be able to demonstrate a solid foundation for a support role. Alternatively a you might want to become a developer but I would not be best placed to advise on that.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. jonatron5

jonatron5 New Member

Well i checked up on it and the company im looking at only requires the security + however they do like the net and A+. Ill behonest though like i said since there all so easy i wouldnt mind getting them if a job depended on it. However sincve im so young and have a cert allready the company does have a work based education program

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Cracking mate get stuck in. It's nice to hear someone having a hunger for knowledge so best of luck to you

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. jonatron5

jonatron5 New Member

I mean you guys do realised im not like expect in to work security engineer or anything like that im talking about being like a techsupport helpdesk guy