Job Offer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kevicho, Sep 17, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Today I have been offered a role with a company, however i need some advice as 50/50 on yes or no.

First of all the role is mainly support for crm and systems (to a certain degree), which may or may not mean I get training in SQL, but definitely in Micrsoft CRM.
    This will be a new path for me, as i have mostly been support and networking, SQL is something i want to learn eventually, but i have a list as long as my arm of the "stuff" i want to learn.

Today I also had an interview with another company, which the interview went really well, I answered all the technical questions with ease, and the HR questions i answered honestly and imho am pretty sure they were the "right" answers.

The only drawback was initially i couldnt find the place, i spent an hour walking around, trying to get a 3g signal at the same time so i could get a map site working on my phone (my screenshot of a map didnt transfer properly, just checked other photos and its done the same thing).

I eventually found the place at 4.30pm (30 mins late), and they requested me either reschedule for another day or come back at 6, so i went back at 6.

The agency guy said that they really liked my CV (in fact apparently they said to not bother sending this other guy thanks to mine), so im hoping ill make it to stage 2 on the back of 2 out of 3 things.

In fairness anyone can make mistakes, i know in myself that being late is pretty much the cardinal sin for interviews, but i did make every effort to get there and made sure they were aware of the predicament.

No one got back to me with directions either :S

Anyways the problem is job 1 are probably looking for an answer tomorrow, whereas job 2 are not going to let me know if i made it friday.

Now my thinking is this
    Job 1, new area, not guaranteed the training I want, low balled me with wage offer.
    So am less than impressed, the interviewers were nice people, and they said i did a really good interview and could tell i had drive and passion for IT.

Job 2.
    Sounds fantastic, the probability of travel, get to use my main skills more, probably going to pay closer to my aimed wage.
    However the lateness factor could spoil it.

So, do I play it safe, and take Job 1, or gamble on Job 2, I really would prefer job 2, but in this economy is it wise.

Meh (I hate being libran)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Unless you have huge savings that would last you over two months plus I'd rather be in a job and go for the offer as its still IT related. But ultimately it's your choice and call to make. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A bush in the hand is worth two in the bird... or something like that...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

What websites are you looking at at the moment!

And is that clock in st peters whizzing around again ;) "or :wink: "

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I was once an hour late for an interview. I got the job and stayed two years!

If they liked your CV enough to see you, you were genuine in your reason for lateness (I had an Exchange problem at a client site come up two hours before the interview was scheduled) and impress them at the interview, they'll want you. No harm in telling your agent/the client that you are under pressure to make a decision on another offer - it shows you're in demand and can often focus attention on them to make a quicker decision.

Good luck either way!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The answer to your first question is: CertForums.

You don't want to know the answer to your second question, do you? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Microsoft CRM is a nightmare, well 3.0 was, and I believe 4.0 has been released so hopefully some of the problems have been fixed.

Hold out for job two mate but try and keep job one as an option. Just tell them you are still considering their offer. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Could you not accept the first job, then you should be on probation, if the second let you know you got it a couple of weeks into the first job then just make you're excuses and leave. If you're uncomfortable saying "i'm selling you out for a better company" then just say your moving city for personal reasons. No questions, no uncomfortable asking "Will you stay please".

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

That's why I was thinking.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Sure, you could do that. But its unprofessional to say the least.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm half and half on this. It is unprofessional, but at the end of the day if it achieves an aim and you're comfortable playing both sides then go for it.

You're the only person that can make that decision.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Kevicho, are you reasonably happy with where you are currently?

If so, and if you are not sure about the first job, I would recommend the second.

The most important thing is to be happy in what you are doing, and from your statement, I think you have already made your decision :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

True. What you are not though, is the only person who will judge you on your decision. Even if you never return to that company, you may encounter the people from it in other companies in the future.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Agree completely. I'd do the same.

15. westernkings

And if you do all they are going to think is "oh there is the guy who I saw around the office for a week or so then disappeared"

After all, it should be only the boss who knows the reason, and I mean, "had to move for personal reasons" is hardly going to reflect badly, things come up all the time.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I doubt very much that leaving during a probationary period would put your name on a company's 'black list'.

Still.. there could be repercussions, and as long kevicho is aware of these then he can do what he wants :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It is unprofessional. And, another person could have got the job that you then leave a few days or weeks later.

18. westernkings

I think it's all down to morals to be honest, I like to think sitting around playing the good guy all your life leaves you incredibly open to people taking liberties, so my thoughts are grab what you want knowing that the majority of people would do just the same to you.

I am pretty sure they will get in contact with another applicant, it isn't as though they are just going to watch him leave and then not hire someone else.

19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

personally I think I would wait for the second or future offers, especially if the first are being a bit cheeky with the wages. As you are still in a perm job I wouldnt move until a job offer ticks ALL the boxes.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Exactly!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5