Job News

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Naive, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I posted in the introduction thread about me wanting to start an I.T career. Took advice from GreenBruceLee / Michael Boson and others by throwing my CV out there.

Just received a phone call within 10 minutes of applying for a 1st line support job at an in-house software company local. He explained he got back promptly due to my 7 years customer service experience. They are looking for someone with customer experience but not neccessarily I.T knowledge. He mentioned that the software was what supermarkets use and that I would be essentially be dealing with problems when the system goes down etc. In house training, £15k per year and although there are no opportunities to go down the networking route with the company, he said it would be ideal for someone wanting to get their foot in the door. He said he would pass my CV on to his recruiting manager and to expect a call within the next few days in regards to my availability for interview. I'm excited but a little confused! I want the job of course but not sure wether to self - study MCDST first or wether to go A+ then N+ and figure out from there :blink

Great news though and I'm feeling very happy that i got feedback as even if I'm not successful this time round, my CV must be potentially interesting for future job apps :D

WIP: MCDST
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good for you !

Hope it goes well. Remember to keep details of what you do for reference on your CV for the next job after that.
    I wouldn't worry about the MCSE stuff at the moment - get in there first and start self study on the A+ etc. You may eve be able to get them to pay for the books !

:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

:clap Great news and Congrats.. fingers crossed here for you.

As for the qualifications its totally depends on which direction you want to go for?? if you want your next job to be hardware orientated then I think the A+ N+ may be good or for desktop / helpdesk the MCDST may be better?

TBH its down to what you feel you would like to study.. if their willing to pay towards things study all 3 :biggrin

But great news, and dont forget to let us know how u get on

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Thanks!

Ideally I want to end up on the Network side of things so I think I'll go for A+ then N+, doubt they'll pay for certs as they are not neccessary due to it being a small in-house software company, apart from product training, but it's an open door right?

I'll let ya know either way how it goes as it was this forum that gave me the focus to even apply for these jobs in the first place!

16k is a 1k rise from my current job and they have bonus/pension/benefits.

5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Nice! Good luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, it certainly is an open door, and a good one! Use it as a stepping stone to gain the much-needed troubleshooting experience to succeed at the next level... likely, a solid desktop support job where you can, optimally, assist server admins when time permits.

Good luck! I hope you get it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Cheers for all the advice,if i do get it,i still plan to self study and over time possibly move into 2nd and 3rd line role. I cnt wait for the interview as thats my strength. Thanks again mr Boson for the extra push :D

8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

One thing, wherever you sign up always always get on the company pensions scheme, even if you don't plan on being there any length of time (unless a few weeks!). I took some decent (free) financial advice and the main point the guy told me was even if you move about a lot you can for most pensions "dragnet" them into one single final pension. So that first line job you have for a year might well add a decent amount to that final great pension you get as a network admin.

If you plan on contracting or setting up your own business then find out about the best personal pensions out there so you know when the time comes where your ahead of the game.

Not IT related but something I think most people starting out in any career should think hard about.....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  9. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Yea I'm 23 and have a son and missus to support, so I always consider them foremost. One thing on the job spec I found attractive was the; Pension scheme, life insurance, travel insurance, incentive scheme, bonus scheme and 'amongst other benefits'.

I have a scheduled call with the director on Friday to chat/schedule an appointment. I'll keep you guys informed. I have the 271 MS Press release but haven't picked it up yet, if this job works out i'll be definitely going the A+ N+ route first. *crosses fingers* :D

10. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Had a telephone interview today and i think it went well, i answered all the questions comfortably and he said he had one or two people to chat to then he would get bk to me. He said that i would be given full training on software but most of the issues would be based on printers and firewalls etc. Thats kind of scary,because i know that this is general troubleshooting but i havent started studying yet and im a bit worried!