Job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by westernkings, Mar 2, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have been head hunted for an interview on Monday for an international manufacturing firm as an IT Manager...

Now I'll be honest with you guys, It's not that I doubt I could do the job, I just think I'm obviously not going to know EVERYTHING right away but it is nothing that cannot be googled and learned rather quickly. I haven't lied on my CV before you ask.

What things should I brush up on for the interview? and using what materials? as a hiring manager what would you guys ask?

I mean, the network manager at my last job at the high school knew hardly anything when he was employed, it was over his 5 years there that he learned everything he had simply by doing the job.
    Obviously, I am only 20, so even getting an interview is pretty nice for me, my CV wasn't even exaggerated. Which makes me concerned I am just going to flop at the interview.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate I'm sure U'll be fine, after all an interviews an interview :biggrin. I guess they would'nt have asked you for an nterview if they didn't think you could do it 8) Go for it mate, hope it goes welll!
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

The job may be called IT Manager but i would not expect a big wage or having a lot of people below you, i would guess that you may be the only person dealing with IT in the company.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. westernkings

£25,000 to £30,000PA

So as for a big wage? what does that count as on the scale of things at 20 years old? given my last Manager was in charge of an entire school and only got 26k :rolleyes: and it is the role and a programmer only in this office.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

For a 20 year old that is very, very good money my friend! When I was 20 ten years ago I was still stuck at uni. Finished uni at 22 and started on 14.5k. Good luck and I hope you get it!

Certifications: ITIL v3; A+, Network+
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

My moto has always been "if you are on more than your age you're doing well". Its a good rule of thumb to aim for.

Right to business, if its a Manager role you need to look at your experience an CV fro a different angle. They are still going to ask you "when did you deal with a crisis" or some variation but instead of looking at it from a techie's point of view you need to show how you stepped back, saw the whole picture, then drafted in the right people, unless it wasn't such a big crisis and you actually could handle it yourself.

One I used to first become a team leader many years ago was that the power grid had gone down in our area meaning the big ass UPS in the corner of the computer room kicked in. I was onsite as a Mainframe Operator but deputising for the shift leader that night. I instructed the other ops to start powering down kit in the computer room while I rang the critical incient manager, the sys prog and network analyst on call that night. I then quickly went in and helped. I noticed a few pieces of kit had instantly gone so weren't on the UPS. I made note and once the power came back up, highlighted which kit wasn't on it that should be and also some that was on UPS and shouldn't be.

Sorry I was going down memory lane there ha ha but think about times you have taken charge rather than fixed. It helps if you put some of your personality into an interview like that I think. Not the text book answer but what you would do. For instance I believe in constant short friendly feedback on staff's performance. I don't ever leave it until your 6 month or yearly review. I'll talk to people about their performance as I go, normally just 3 minutes over a cup of tea. I've never had a team member come up to me and say they were surprised in a review, and I always get nice leaving prezzies from my teams ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. westernkings

Too be honest, I haven't been in my current role too long, so I will be relating back to my 8 months at the High School. Upon which, I took charge of almost everything because the manager was content with "it will never get done so don't ask or bother" so it was me that Visualised all the back up servers with ESXi, me that used a terminal server so staff could do work from home (we couldn't get the VPN working, used remote desktop whilst we sorted it) me that pushed for proper decisions and so on, but in order for me to mention that, I would have to mention that whilst my last manager was a great tech, he was a **** manager.

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Don't ever say that in an interview, its a kiss of death, you are talking about "one of the boys" after all. Word it more that your manager concentrated on the strategical aspects of his role leaving you with the hands on BAU and planning

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. westernkings

Yea, it's just wording it right and getting the point across without it sounding like I'm bitching. I could say "in practice, me and the network manager shared pretty equal roles"

10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if you are questioning whether that is a big wage or not....but given your age and experience it is certainly a good one.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

When you're talking about this at the interview make sure that you use the correct term, virtualized :p

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  12. westernkings

Virtualised :biggrin. We are not in Kansas now son :twisted: