Job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by anniemac, Nov 30, 2007.

1. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

Hi, I am going for an interview for the post Junior help desk/1st line support. Please could someone tell me what kind of technical questions I will be asked. I have a CompTia A+ and although I am 'mature' this will be my first IT job since getting my cert. I am studying Network+ at the moment. I just want to be prepared.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

hi firstly good luck with the interview

the type of questions will depend on what you will be supporting and who you are supporting for.
    if you can give more details i am sure that some one could help you out.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  3. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

This is all the info I have ' You will have great customer service skills as you will be working with both internal and external people. Ideally you will have at least 6 months experience in an IT related job, preferably helpdesk support / 1st line support, excellent windows skills and knowledge, and be able to multi task. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a forward thinking company who are offering training and support. ' As far as I understand it's a new post should I get more info from the Agency

4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

1st line / desktop is usually simple things like password resets and if it's more technical than you're able to deal with, you make a ticket and pass it to 2nd line

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They could ask just about anything under the sun. There's really no way to prepare for something like this... either you already know the answers, or you don't. If you do, you're probably well suited for the position, and if you don't, then you're not likely to be well suited for the position... simple as that.

Basically, if it's meant to be... if you're the best candidate for the job... then you'll get the job. Relax! Be yourself. Be honest with the interviewer - let them know what you can do, and be honest with what you cannot (yet) do. Be confident in yourself and your abilities... if you think you can do the job, then THEY just might believe you can do the job. If you have a lack of confidence, interviewers will pick up on that, and they won't have confidence in your abilities.

You can do it! I wish you success in your interview!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

What a day! I went to the interview which was fantastic. the IT manager and I just 'jelled' and we spent 45 mins talking tech!! The job is fantastic. It's from the start a very large profess. firm moving into the 2lst century. At the moment the IT is non-existent apart from cables here and there and down time is horrendous. So it must be cabled and servers and routers installed and a help desk (me) put in place. I just have to see the IT Partner on Friday and the job's mine. And what a job I can see everything from the start I should definitely pass my network+ exam. I am so over the moon!!!:D:D:D

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds good, well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael

Major congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Congrats to you!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations, sure does feel very good:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

To continue - instead of Friday I see the Partner and IT Manager on Tuesday. I am going to have to really sell myself. I know the age thing shouldn't be an issue but I am 58 although I feel ageless. Any ideas how to get the partner to realise that I'm not too old and thinking of retirement soon and I am the one for the job.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Age discrimination is now a crime in the UK. Don't mention your age and they too if they know the law are not to even make a hint of it. Just be relaxed and show interest but don't be phoney. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. greenbrucelee

I can't really offer any advice on the age thing I am only 30 myself, although I feel too old sometimes.

But just be yourself, be confident, and don't concentrate on the age issue too much or it may come across when you have the interview and ruin your chances.

There are people on CF who are a similar age and havent been in IT all that long so it can be done.

Good Luck.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you are the right person for the job then age doesnt come into it, best of luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Sparky

Eh? Dont speak like that mate, Im catching up with you! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  16. greenbrucelee

Yeah yeah funny.

I do though sometimes feel like I have missed the boat into getting an IT career because of obstacles that are my own doing and everyone else getting into is younger than me.

But I must persevere.

17. Sparky

Our new help desk guy is 35, it is his first job in IT. Need I say more? :biggrin

18. BosonMichael

I was 28 when I got my first "official" IT job. I know plenty of people who got started in their 40s and 50s. You're nowhere near "too late". :)

19. greenbrucelee

Cheers, I receive a rejection letter for Trainee IT admin job this morning that I went for they said in their opinion I was too knowledgable for a trainee job but too inexperienced for the IT admin position.

It like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, I even completed their trick questions properly in the interview, one of the tricks being that I presented with a lot of SCSI disks with cables and I was asked to put the chain together, but I said I couldn't because there were no terminators. The guy interviewing me said I was the only person they had seen that had figured this out. But still no joy :(

20. Sparky

Must have been 'old school' SCSI, not seen that in a while, nice one 8)

Chin up mate :thumbleft