Job Interview in South West

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by momer79, Feb 17, 2011.

1. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

Hi,

I have been called for a second face to face interview in south west for a developer position but i don't know if its worth spending £100 on the train ticket (11 hour journey,two ways) to attend this interview? Company won't pay for the travel cost.

Company is a Microsoft Gold Partner and it is a medium size company with turnover £35m and there are about 60 people working in the company. Salary for this role is good, 25% more than i am on now. Company will provide free training on microsoft courses and pay for the certification as well.

I already have a job offer from the different city but i am not sure yet if i am going to accept their offer becuase i don't like their working enviorment and this is also a medium size company with turnover £10m and there are about 150 people in the company. The salary for this job is same as the first one.

I don't want to waste my holidays on interviews.

What should i do?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

If you're willing to relocate if you get offered the job, i think it's more than a good idea to go, its obviously a bit of a trek just for the interview and is fairly hefty, but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you're serious about getting the job.

Personally, if it was a job i really wanted, and was willing to relocate should i get the job. I'd pay for the travel and go to the interview, they must have a keen interest in you if you currently live fairly far away

Where abouts in the south west is it if you don't mind me asking?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

Its in swindon.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Personally if it was me, and i was in your situation, I'd go - but it's only you that can really decide what you're going to do, weigh up your options and decide if it's feasible to do.

From what you've posted so far it already sounds as though you don't particularly want to do it, i guess if you really wanted the job you wouldn't worry about a hundred quid and a day travelling.

5. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

I am worried about relocation with family and kids as i never been to swindon before. In my current job, working enviorment is very relax, no deadline or pressure and i am well settled here but on the other side there is no room for growth. Its a big company with money but 2 people in the IT department, there is work to do but i have to wait weeks to get something to work on. Things are moving very slowly here.

6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Think about Frying pans and fires.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ah, i understand, didn't realise you had family/kids to think about - whole different ball game! :)

Only you can really decide for yourself whats best!

Good luck whichever you do however :thumbleft

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think that the fact that you have to ask the question speaks volumes.

If you're worried about the cost of a train ticket, think about the cost of relocation...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD