Job Interview - At Last!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pmidds, Feb 24, 2009.

1. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

Been a while since I posted on here. But in the last 3 months that I've been looking for a new position (the company I'm working for is closing it's office in Sunderland next month) I've had no joy in getting any further than getting a few phone calls from agencies.

However, a couple of weeks ago I bought the local jobs paper for the first time in years. Saw a position that looked pretty interesting (the only 1 in the paper) and applied. Finally heard back on Friday last week and I've got an interview this Thursday. This will be my first one in over 5 years so am now starting to brick it.

Been reading all the tips on CF about interviews so will hopefully be pretty prepared for it.

Certifications: MCP 70-210; 70-290; ITIL Foundation v.3
    WIP: MCSE? or CCNA?
  2. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Well done!

Just keep calm and confident and your work experiences will guide you though.

Prepare some answers for questions such as why do you want to work for the company, what will you bring to the company? I even had a question saying what do you want to work for us rather than our competitors.

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Good luck, be yourself that's all I can say.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good luck ! Remember to let us know how you get on

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

I know I can do the job, and I'm pretty sure I am what they're looking for. But there's always that worry that one question will throw you for the rest of the interview. And this is a job that I really want. The fact that I'll be redundant in just over a month doesn't help.

Also, has anyone else lost faith with recruitment websites? I've applied for 20 / 30 positions through cwjobs, jobserve, reed etc and haven't even got as far as a phone interview (and most of these are jobs that I'm moer than suited / qualified for. The interview that I have eventually got was through the local paper and the job application form specifically stated that they do not advertise on recruitment websites.

6. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

Just to let you all know that I didn't get the job. To tell you the truth I'm actually quite relieved. I would have been the only IT person on site, supporting 2 offices in London and Newcastle. I asked in the interview what would happen when I was on holiday - their response was "hopefully nothing would go wrong":ohmy

7. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Ouch sounds to me that job had ulcer or heart attack written all over it.
    Being the only IT guy on site is fun for a while, but when the s*** starts
    flying...

I guess there's good news mixed in with the bad news.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662