Job hunting is not going well.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Sep 18, 2012.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hello Guys,

I am currently employed and work in I.T

I have being in my current place for about a year and half and I am not learning much here and see no real career development which is why I want to move on.

Overall I have being in I.T for 2.8 Years and have Microsoft certifications and most of the work I have done has being done as a jack of all trades type of person doing a little bit of everything and I have held alot of responsibility and I am a hard worker but my job hunt is not going well.

I apply for roles and I get interviews once a while and that is it, nothing else!

If I apply for a helpdesk or desktop support or junior system/network engineer/admin level roles I could easily get them but I am applying for mid level engineering positions, which is like the next level up and would be a challenge and which is the kind of roles that I should be aiming for.

Any ideas on how I should switch my game up?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    drum_dude likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Err, consider staying put and training yourself up ? The market is really bad now, I wouldn't rock the boat.

drum_dude likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Remember – it’s a completive market mate. Even though you think you can do the job you are applying for easily there will be loads of other people applying that think exactly the same thing!

What certs\experience do you have and what job are you aiming for?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

and then there are people who know they can do the job and more :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
    drum_dude likes this.
  5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

The market is always bad,

I am aiming for ccna starting with CCENT

When I was trying to get my foot in the door in I.T i volunteered and worked for free just to get experience and went through alot

A couple of years later the market is still not good

but that's no excuse.

drum_dude likes this.
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No, no it isn't, we had a boom from 2004-2008 and before that from 1991-1998. We are at a bad point in the economic cycle right now.

Other notable event was the dot.com crash of 2000.

Economic cycles can last decades or generations, you're probably too young to appreciate this.

A good attitude and you should still try and keep applying, but don't risk the job that you've got.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    drum_dude likes this.
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Just keep looking, something will come up!

I've been in the IT Support line of work since 2000 and have always thought the market was over saturated with 'IT Pros', even during the 'good times'. These days, employers have got more choice when it comes to taking folk on! But then again, there is another thread on this forum with regards to the poster getting a couple of interviews lined up followed by a job offer, and all in a short space of time!

It all comes down to being in the right place, at the right time!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...