job hunt is getting me down :(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leosdelsol, Mar 31, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Well I have been applying for every IT job (that im qualified for) I can find but im still out of work. I dont know what im doing wrong :( I passed my HNC last year in computer networking and just have a couple of months to go til I get my HND. I also have the 271 and 272 certs aswell. I do have about a years worth of experience aswell from when I worked as a junior tech. I just dont know what to do :( if there is anyone on here from my neck of the woods (Scotland) I would very much appreciate if they could point me in the dirction of any good employers or agencys I should hand my C.V in to. And if anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated

thanks alot Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try these sites mate:

http://www.9-20recruitment.com/
    http://www.quantumpeople.com/

Where abouts in Scotland are you based btw?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you getting interviews and not getting the jobs, or are you not even getting interviews?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Keep your chin up mate. Would you be prepared to travel a bit more than you would be expected to normally?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks for the links 8)
    im on the dumfriesshire/ayrshire border
    i have had one interview out of about 30-40 applications (maybe more)
    trying to keep my chin up but its really starting to get me down :(

6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

What did the rejections say? If possible ask them why you were not considered. Worst they can say is mind your own business and the info they may give can help you improve the next application.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

yeah i would travel if it ment getting a first step on the ladder :(

8. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

usually I dont hear anything back from them at all, Not even a no lol :(
    some just write a letter saying i have been Unsuccessful.
    I really should phone them up and ask why not but would feel occurred putting them on the spot

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Put them on the spot - tell them that you are trying to improve your weak areas. If I had interviewed you, I'd respect your determination, and tell you.

Always remember this: They're not usually rejecting you because you're not worth hiring... they simply found someone who is more suitable for the position.

Are you applying ONLY for jobs you see on search engines and in the newspaper? Remember, EVERYONE (and their mothers) are seeing those jobs and applying for them. As a result, competition is fierce. Remember, it only takes ONE person who is more attractive to an employer than you are to not get the job... so if there are 100 (or 1000!) people applying, you have to beat 99 (or 999!) of them.

So how do you tackle those odds? Find jobs that AREN'T listed in those forums. One way is through recruiters, though that is often hit-or-miss, and they're not always looking out for your best interests. A better way is to make contacts in the industry. If you don't know anyone in IT, find someone... this very forum is a great place to start! You can also join IT professional organizations that hold monthly or quarterly meetings. I'm in the US, so we have different ones than you guys - perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction. These people, who are already in IT, know when jobs open up or are about to open up - even before the job is posted! These are called "hidden jobs". So what if you were to apply for a "hidden job" that wasn't posted yet? Not only would the company save money by not having to look for an employee or post a job listing... but you'll also likely have a LOT less competition! Trust me, this method works... but it takes some effort on your part.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

As above bosonm said: GET THE FEEDBACK!!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good advice from BM.

Also a word from me, when I passed my HND I was applying for loads of jobs that I thought I was qualified for but really I wasn't so make sure your not doing the same.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think as well with what is going on with the recession is that there is more competition for jobs and that companies and agencies are more picky on who they choose. Everyone is being squeezed and people are lowering their salary demands just to get work and this may have a big impact on people with less experience.

I would also get someone to check your CV if your not getting any luck with interviews as again they can be very picky and will use any excuse to bin your application especially if they have dozens or hundreds of applications to sift through. An error I made on my CV was accidentally not putting a leaving date on my previous job so it looked like I hadn't left. This no doubt lost me a few job interviews. Make sure your CV sells yourself and custom it to the jobs your applying for.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a job I was getting 3-4 calls a week from agencies. I'm looking again now and am lucky to get 1 call every couple of weeks. It's a total nightmare and a bad time to be looking for work but stick in there and don't give up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Michael I'd like to look into this a bit more. I find myself in this type of situation where I know absolutely no one in the industry, heck I barely know anyone in any industry at this point since I've been in Japan for so long. What organizations would you recommend I look into joining when I do come back to San Diego? I've joined LinkedIn in attempts to meet people within the industry, the problem is no one I know knows anyone else in IT so it kind of has gone no where.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

hang in there....finding a job seems to be the hardest bit....apply in the morning and call the recruitment agency in the afternoon or late afternoon to check what happened with your application.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Keep at it and don't give up as it can be really challenging but you'd get there in the end if you persist. Best wishes and keep on keeping on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

If i was living in that remote an area,i would just look to move away,i stayed in edinburgh before i moved to portsmouth.

I know your area as i'm scottish,i know dumfries,and i know all parts of ayrshire,i wouldn't expect to get any work in ayrshire or dumfries area.

Ayrshire was a coal mining area, has tourist stuff,is the birthplace of robert burns etc..,there is also an airport [prestwick] and golf.Just telling those members who have never heard of the place.

And dumfries is a small place,plenty of trees and farm land in that area,the nearest place is Carlisle 34 miles away.
    Glasgow or edinburgh may be better.

There appears to be plenty of work down here,it may have changed since the recession but people,unqualified, were getting computer jobs here over a year ago.While i was at college i trained with people already in work who had no qualifications,and other people got computer jobs while we were still learning the subject.

I just think you are in completely the wrong location.
    Northern ireland might be an idea,i think there is a chance you could get a computer job over there.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  17. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks for the replys everyone it is much appreciated :)

I have been applying for jobs as far as Glasgow but cant apply to edinburgh because I dont have the money to setup a flat etc just now :(

I have attached a copy of my C.V to see what you all think, any thoughts on were I could be improving it would be great.

Attached Files:

18. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

just to note, I havechanged the names of my previosu employers to keep it private :)

19. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Looking at your CV just a couple of pointers:

• Keep it to two pages max. Your CV is very spread out in parts.
    • I would put your personal details first, then education history, then professional qualifiactions, then employment history, Skills and abilities and then a little about yourself.
    • I would get rid of your profile as employers don't want your life story. A CV is there to sell yourself and catch the eye of the person looking at your CV you can then expand on this in an interview.
    • In your IT job list a few main technologies you worked with. Like building and configuring Windows based PC's, Active Directory and Exchange administration, Maintaining Canon Printers & Scanners, Configuring Blackberry's (You get my point). This way employers can have an insight to the technologies you've been exposed to.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  20. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Can't really offer any advice as like many others I'm looking for my first IT job lol :D ...at least you have some experience :)

But like already mentioned before, the market is tough...so just keep at it. Around this time last year, I was getting at least 4 or 5 calls a week (to me that was alot, since my knowledge is limited and have no commercial experience) and now I'm getting a call like once a month :D