Job Discontinuance and Continued Quality Assurance Software Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by deeone75, May 24, 2013.

1. deeone75

deeone75 New Member

Hi everyone!!

I need some advise and help in regards to continuing my education. Last week, I got laid off from a large financial firm. I was a Quality Assurance Analyst for the past ten years. Here is the problem, the bank that I worked for was so in the stone age, it was ridiculous! We did all manual testing and never used SQL. After posting my resume on Monster, come to realize that companies now want Automated testing knowledge.

Can anyone tell me where I could get SQL, Loadrunner, QTP and maybe some additional QA training online? And at a low cost of course, since I"m currently not employed. I really appreciate any feedback as I am lost in the dark and need to amp up my career.

Thank you so much everyone!!

Dee:rolleyes:

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So you didn't do any personal development training for ten years ? :blink

SQL is as old as the hills, many places to learn it. SQL Tutorial

Selenium, Cucumber, SoapUI, Fiddler, curl, all open source and easy to get to grips with.

Anyone in IT that can't at least script is a bit of a chancer.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  3. deeone75

deeone75 New Member

Thank you so much for the link. Do you know where I could get QTP or Loadrunner training? I love the w3 website?

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. deeone75

deeone75 New Member

Oh, very good to know. I don't know much about those commerical tools, so I wasn't sure if training was needed for QTP or Loadrunner. Thank you for the heads up!!

When you say "scripting thrown in"....is that basic scripting?

Thanks!!

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes they come with their own in built basic scripting language, control statements, loops, the usual stuff.

7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I can't script.....

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Whyever not ? If you spend time messing with servers and firewalls you should probably know bash, vbscript, powershell, python or similar. Cisco have TCL and CSS scripting etc. Then there are things like Chef and Puppet.

So you have many switches/load balancers/firewalls to set up with similar config, how do you do it ?

You have a cluster of 200 servers with similar config, how do you provision it ?

You want to get some simple metrics from all the servers in your data centre, etc.

Every time you have a set of ten commands you have to repeat don't you think there must be an easier way ?

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Have never had the need.

I did TCL in a lab once - haven't ever used it in real life.

EDIT: that said, back when i managed servers, i do remember downloading a few scripts to do some minor things. Doesn't look like something i would enjoy learning AT ALL i might add.

EDIT EDIT: It is at the back of my mind though, as i know it is heavily used in real large environments like ISP's etc.

As it is, in my first foray into networking, we directly managed about 10 sites, with only about 150 devices across those sites. In my current job, it's all project activities rather than Ops, so even less need as i see it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP