Job dillemma

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waria Ahmed, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I know we get one of these threads everyday so I thought I'd join the gang :D

Anyway here is the problem...

I been working for NHS Part time for 2 months, with another 2-3 months on my contract, and I AM looking for a new job. However I been head hunted for a interesting position today. Its a 3 months only contract for a government organisation and looks to be a decent role to me. (nothing special)

No my question is, would a 2 month employment followed by a 3 month employment look good on my CV? or would that put a dent on my application once the contract is over?

Cheers

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It'd look to me as if you were either a job hopper or someone who couldn't hold down a job. In either case, it wouldn't look good.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well if you explain it was contract work then you should be ok, if you left a full time job after two months then questions would be asked.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Making it clear on your CV that the jobs are contract based for a few months at a time should get a message across... you don't necessarily need to divulge that you abandoned the first company after two months, but it's also not a very good idea to lie about things...

Can you maybe hold out and ask if it would be possible to finish your current assignment first before they need the second one filled in?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

After my graduation I was in a job for 2 years ( where a 6 month contract kept getting extended)

I think I'm going to ask them if there was a possibility of an extension at the end of this contract, as otherwise it would be pointless.

6. BosonMichael

Still, he'd be leaving a contract early. Certainly that doesn't look good.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Shinigami

Unless he says that it was just a two month contract and hopes that future employers don't ask to see any recommendation letters from that particular client...

Underhand technique of course, up to ones conscience to use it.

8. BosonMichael

...which would be a lie. That's a surefire way to get you blacklisted in the local IT community. If I can't trust you to be honest on a resume, I can't trust you with the Admin password.

9. Shinigami

Totally agree with you, and not an easy lie to hide in some circles as well (think Banking, and I would guess that would apply to Government agencies as well).

Things have a tendency to bite you in the rear if you take the occasional white lie for granted one too many times :rolleyes:

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, but in comparison to leaving a full time job after a short period of time, not so bad.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

The only thing I can do is take the 2 month contract off my CV lol. Especially since I barely have any space on my CV.

But since my current job will last another 3 months, (albeit its part time, but gives me enough time to do another MCP for my MCSE) I don't think there is any point in me going for the job. I might go in for interview for experience and to get more questions answered about the job. But I'm not too keep on this job atm.

Thanks everyone. As always, You've been a big help!! :)