Job application

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 20, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

About 2 and a half weeks a go I applied for a trainee Technical Admin job at a mid size accountancy firm thats local to me.

I had not heard anything back about a possible interview or received a rejection letter, so today I phoned them up enquiring about my application.

The lady I spoke to said they were still sifting through the applications they had to select interview candidates as there had been a large response for the position.

Do you guys think I did right by phoning up? or have I shot my self in the foot by looking impatient?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

No way! - if anything it looks like your keen for the job. I did the same thing when i applied for a job and had a quick chat about with the girl on the phone and they remembered me when I went for the interview.:biggrin8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Calling them is the right thing to do. I shows them that you are truly interested in the job rather than just someone who applies to every job that even remotely meets their requirements and then sits back and waits. I hope you left your name and number.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. greenbrucelee

Hopefully they will look on it as a positive move by me.

Yes I did leave them my number, the Lady said that I will hear something shortly, I was just worried incase it looked impatient on my part.

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I don't think you did wrong whatsoever as it shows initiative in my books. Best wishes anyway and keep plugging away you'd get a break when you least expect:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. That said, there's a line somewhere in there... calling 2 weeks later certainly shows that you're interested, but calling a DAY later shows that you're impatient. :D

Don't give up hope just because it's been a while... good companies often tend to take a while to make SURE that they're finding the best candidate match for their company. And... sometimes... the cold reality is that they're often too busy to deal with "normal issues" AND sift through resumes AND interview candidates. it takes time. :) I once waited 3 months and went through 3 interviews before I was eventually offered the job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the input guys :D