Job Application Advice Please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I am seeking some advice on whether my Cv and cover letter seem appropriate for an entry level job role I wish to apply for. Any tips would be much appreciated:D

Attached Files:

WIP: A+
  2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Mark, I think for the most part your CV is pretty good. However, under the heading of
    I think you should probably expand on this and say exactly what you did/do to get the IT experience you have listed.

Not sure if I would put as much detail in your covering letter as you have - that should all come from your CV but that's just not the way that I would do it.

Finally, I note you got a D in GCSE English - ever thought about resitting it? A lot of companies like to see at least grade C in both English and Maths and the D might hold you back a little.

Oh, and a big hats off and bow down to the A in maths - way to go on that one :p

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Actually, I have never known a company to ask about my GCSE's unless specifically on a job application form, (as opposed to just sending your CV in)

The best thing to do is avoid putting grades all together.

You passed English, that's the key point,

So instead of saying

English - D

why not just say

high School name, Location
    English Language
    English Literature
    Geography
    etcetera
    etcetera

best case scenario is they never even mention what grades you got specifically, it isn't lying, hell. it isn't even bending the truth, that's what you have. At worse, they may bring it up at the interview after which the fact you're there should deter them from just going "get lost, you got a D instead of an A". (Providing the interview is going well.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Markyboyt

Thanks for your reply.
    I have thought many times about trying to gain a higher grade in english but have always questioned myself on whether the time could be better spent if that makes sense. It is a hell of a lot of work to study the GCSE and I wonder if all that work and time would be justified by the end result.

5. Markyboyt

Yes that could be one way of doing it, just would feel like im hiding something, plus then it doesnt show the A in maths.

I guess it would be different if i had no qualification in english, but i do and its only 1 grade off, obvious trouble being that its a good reason to bin the CV, but if i didnt have anything GCSE wise then it would be a lot more worthwhile doing it.

6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You're not really hiding anything, how many adults do you know that put their GCSE Results in ?

Putting your A in maths on means you have to put your D on too, whereas you could just not put any and then it's obvious you have passed your exams, and that's all that matters, what matters is you didn't fail, a pass is a pass and a fail is a fail, regardless of grade.

University Degrees I would understand, but it's not worth it for GCSe's.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the grades, myself. The NVQ 3 (regardless of what subject it's in) is higher than GCSE level, in fact depending on the modules taken a NVQ 3 is worth at least 2 A levels (more if more modules are taken). Added that you're studying for the Comptia A+, a IT support qualification, it's good.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sorry, I'm a nosey picky so-and-so, so I've gone over your cover letter - feedback on the CV on your other thread :biggrin

Again, there are both track changes and comments.

One thing I would say your cover letter is lacking that I would normally utilise it for, is showing your 'soul'.

If you're not attending an interview through a mutual contact (like I was recommended for my current job) then the CV sifter isn't going to know you from Adam. A helpdesk job requires a gregarious personality at best, given some of the calls you have to deal with, and there will be an existing team that they are looking for you to 'slot in to'. The cover letter is generally reserved for personal aspects of your life that you would normally 'leave off' a CV. For example, team work gained through sporting activities (which could also involved leadership aspects and success, but not if you're as bad at football as I am :oops:)

Where at the top of your CV you (the royal you) would generally put "I am a pragmatic blah with a can do attitude and blah blah blah" in my cover letter I'd let them know what I do in my spare time. It also gives you something to fall aside on in the interview if your work experience thus far doesn't cover any questions they ask.

For example, I was asked in the interview what the most stressful thing I had done was. So I went on for about thirty seconds about how difficult sales was, and how trying some merchants could be... but it all paled in comparison to jumping out of a plane from 10,000ft. It throws in something different, and gives an interesting topic (and makes you the interesting person that they remember - and above all, you want to be remembered!)

I used the skydive twice in that interview. Most stressful experience, and the classic 'how would your friends describe you?' I said clinically insane - for jumping out of the plane.

Must have worked. Got the job :)

Sorry for rambling again! Hope this helps.... somehow :blink

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Markyboyt

Thanks again for another useful post Arroryn, repped again (although my power is only 6 :( )

Before I start whats all this young man talk in the CV reply :lol: im 24 aswell.

Right I have tweaked my cover letter and attached it to this post, i haven't got any personal interests on it yet as i'm not sure what to put. I don't really do that much, either sit on here, go to gigs or occasionally go to the pub. I play 5 a side once a week but not as an organised team or anything. I cant even use that im learning the guitar as I did when I applied for my apprenticeship because that was 6 years ago and I still can't actually play them (i brought more in the mean time :lol: )

As for sky diving or anything like that, i'm not sure what in this world could actually make me do such a thing, god I don't even go on the rides at Alton Towers (apart from the river rapids) :lol: I'm the bag and camera holder.

I'm still working on the CV at the minute, I seem to have a first page full of bullet points.

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I find that men react more to strict women. lol. That seems to be why, after watching Fawlty Towers for the first time last week (!) my other half has started calling me his 'little nest of vipers'.

Aah. Young love.

Pah. Don't worry about the 'repping power' you've got. Just glad you appreciate the advice and that I wasn't spouting utter cack :)

I wanted to conquer a fear. My main fears at the time were spiders and heights. I'd rather jump out of a plane than sit with spiders, any day. Certainly not scared of heights any more :)

It's still a sporting activity... pop it in so that they know you're not just a workhorse. It's still true that you play it once a week... my other half put down that he likes tennis and football on his CV. This is true yes, as he didn't put down that he plays it. But I've watched more football (and definitely played more) than him in the last three years - and he's played tennis once. That was this weekend. lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hey Marky, great advice already in this thread. Just to add to majority, I'm 23 and 4/5ths, and I don't put the specific grades on my CV, I passed with 2A's 3B's and the rest C's, but as I've not been in school for,what 8 years? I don't see them as a true reflection on my current knowlede/intelligence. Any further education like College/Uni sure stick it up, but GCSE's are (imo) unnecessary unless a requirement on a generic application form.

Most recently I had an interview (successful) with two interviewers. If you find yourself in this kind of situation (it's quite common) be sure to remember to address who is speaking with eye contact, and upon answering, look at the 2nd interviewer aswell to split direction. They was quite tough with me initially, the first interview didn't even introduce himself or look at me and was facing with his back to me for 30 minutes lol. Then he introduced himself and continually stared at me the whole interview. Afterwards they said it was to see it was their tactics of trying to unnerve me, I naturally told them I thought they were barking mad. Of which we had laughs after. (sorry for drifting, I just thought I'd share that :D )

Your CV looks good and best of luck with your applications, and let your personality shine at the interviews. A big bright personality can often win the day with entry level jobs :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  12. Markyboyt

Yeah I guess I'd agree with that lol, so long as their not too strict lol.
    Fawlty Towers is ace, I had a Basil Fawlty moment yesterday, was trying to put my bike rack on my car and the damn the quick releases wouldnt work properly ended up throwing it about the garden and stuff in true basil style, neighbours must have thought i was nuts lol

Yeah I dont do heights or spiders, well apart from money spiders otherwise I have to catch them in a cup or something. Heights are a no no unless im safe.

Shall I put this in my CV then or my cover letter? Can't really think how I could write it in a cover letter, just seems weird if that makes sense.

13. Markyboyt

OK this is how they currently stand although I am certain they require a few more tweaks still. I'm not convinced the cover letter is personal enough, still sounds very business and doesn't really show me.

Attached Files:

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your CV reads well mate, when you mention Office in your CV perhaps miss out ‘Office 2000’ as it’s fairly old and just list MS Office. If you get the time try and have a look at Office 2007 as many companies are now moving over to Office 2007 and that would be good to have on your CV.

I would imagine there would be hundreds of people applying for this job, IT is competitive after all, so I would trim the cover letter way back so it just lists the main points. There just isn’t enough time to read everyone’s cover letter and CV when considering potential candidates so if someone picks up your cover letter it may get binned due to the size of it.

Try and highlight the customer service aspects in your current job as this is listed in the job spec and also the team working aspects. List the A+ and also experience of using XP and Office as the ‘IT’ part of the cover letter.

After that your CV can do the rest!

Best of luck mate! 8)

Just to note I’m not a recruitment guru (really? :biggrin ) but I have been involved in taking on the last three people at my current job. I had to basically go through all the CVs and pass on the best ones to the management for consideration. You won’t believe how many CVs arrived in my mailbox the first day the jobs were advertised, had to close down Outlook to get some peace!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Markyboyt

Thanks for your comments and advice sparky.

I did have it just listed as MS office but quite a few folks pointed out I should name the version, you have confirmed my suspicions though that putting 2000 sounds crap. I have downloaded a 60 Office 2007 trial which I am using to do these cover letters and CV's to try and familiarise myself but obviously thats only in Word. While I can use it to get myself more familiar with the program I don't think this would be strong enough grounds to make any real claims about.

I will try and trim a bit of the mass off the cover letter as you advise.

Thanks again