Job Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by obsolete, Nov 14, 2008.

1. obsolete

obsolete Bit Poster

I have trouble speaking and writing. I've recently discovered that my nonverbal reasoning is poor. This may explain why I have trouble understanding when people communicate using idioms, metaphors, analogies, and even use simpler words in various contexts. Also, I may have trouble identifying what other meanings besides what's actually stated. Some people mention that I have to look at the context. I can only decipher the literal meaning based on what I read and hear. For most jobs, communication is vital. I'm not a good communicator and my poor speaking and writing abilities hinder me from that. I have only gone on 2 interviews. The problem is that I have no idea what to say. This is a problem with everyday conversation with people on a daily basis. With interviews, I can't sit there for more than 2 or even 5 minutes to respond answer. On one of the interviews I had with a client with Robert Half, they ask lots of behavioral type and other interview questions. After that interview was over, my recruiter from Robert Half haven't contacted me since. I called in and check and they said that they were going to keep looking for work. I eventually stopped and didn't call them back. I think they don't want me to work for them since I didn't do well on the interview. I asked my recruiter on feedback from their client on anything I did poorly, and she didn't wish to divulge that information to me. How does someone make improvements within themselves if they are not aware of it? Anyhow, it's very hard for me landing a job and I have no idea how to go about improving my speaking and writing areas. I know that these two are essential for good communication and good writing for many jobs out there. I lose hope and stuck in a predicament which no being can uplift the weak qualities that instill me for phemonenons that are uncontrollable in the world and in thy self. Any advice will greatly appreciated it.

2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Thats really a handicap.... no offence mate. i believe you are in UK and which part of the world are you from.. why dont you try taking classes on the sides, atleast there has to be some disatnt learning programme that will be taking care of things like basic learing stuff like language study... over here we have programmes like that running, so one could always catch upom the languge thing and still keep things going

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't seem to have any problem communicating in forum posts. :) Could use a few paragraph breaks, but I understand what you're saying!

You are right: not being able to communicate well will absolutely hurt you on an interview. Unfortunately, there's no easy fix. You either learn to interview well, or you don't. You either get over having trouble with communicating, or you don't. There isn't a workaround. :(

The only way to fix the problem, in this case, is to attack it headlong. Have you considered taking a class where you focus on learning how to communicate? Or several classes, if one class isn't gonna do it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would agree with BM, have a look at courses or classes which can help you communicate.

You seem to be able to do it well when typing/writing so tranferring that to speaking is what you need.

Maybe a class in building confidence would help too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I agree with BM & GBL.

It sounds like you are putting the effort in without getting any feedback, how do you improve?

Do a search of your local schools, colleges, learning centres etc to find out about communication skills, research this and attend them.

If you are motivated and willing to learn (which I'm sure you are) do not see this as a hidderence, rather a opportunity to learn and make new friends!

Oh, one more thing, Local Authority type jobs are more likely to employ you. I know this is not meant to be the case but it is unfortuntlely how the cookie crumbles.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Sorry, but I've got to disagree with the above.

If you have a recognised disability it would be wise to let the employer(s) know before hand of the problems that you have. Any reasonable employer enforcing equal opportunities could work with you in getting the very best from you by working around your disability. I don't see how classes would help.

Chin-up and good luck! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3