Javascript not working!!!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, May 17, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right guys I am in a pickle here. I am using IE 7 beta 2. I often visit the Empire movie website to check up on movie news and that but thats mostly done at work. However when I am at home I have found that if I click on a certain link, for example on the site today it shows the new Superman Returns poster, I find that the window for the poster wont open. In the status bar on the left it reads 'javascript: ShowBigPicture3('7442', ", 'Superman Returns Posters'). I have the Java VM installed and everything have checked Internet Options but nothing I do changes it.

I have also opened both Firefox and Opera and I get exactly the same issue. So no matter what I do or how I press the link it just wont open. And the same goes for certain trailers like the one for Oliver Stone's 9/11 movie World Trade Center. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hmmm, im using firefox and its all good

edit: tried cleaning your temp folder, internet and all of that palava?

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

this is what I dont understand why is not working in all 3 browsers I have? surely there must be something thats stopping the from working but I dont know what exactly...

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - Java is not the same thing as Javascript!

I've just tried the page you mentioned in FF (1.5.0.3) and it works fine as long as I allow Javascript for that site (I have the NoScript extension).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Harry - good obvs - never noticed that

edit: it should work on one of the browsers Noel is using...

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok Harry so what exactly are you saying? are u saying I need something extra for it to work? Thanks for info about Java and Javascript by the way I am more of a hardware person than software...so that does help...:biggrin

7. hbroomhall

Shouldn't need anything extra. Most browsers come with Javascript built in. Both IE and FF have options to turn it off, as it can be a source of trojans getting in, as it isn't exactly safe.

The NoScript extension I have for FF enables Javascript on a site-by-site basis.

The muddle between Java and Javascript is unfortunate - blame it on the Netscape engineers who came up with the name! They have no connection to each other.

I suspect there may be something else on your machine stopping Javascript from working - but I have no idea what. Do other sites with it work?

Harry.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well there is not any other site I go to that uses Javascript other than Empire. So I dont know. Do you think say for example Anti-Virus or firewall stopping it from working? I did a google and found a site that mentioned Anti-virus maybe being the cause but I cant find anything in my anti-virus...saying that I use to remember months back when my AVG ran a scan it would pick up what appeared to be the javascript as if it was a virus and I always told it to ignore those until one day I stupidly got rid of them...do u think that might be it? Only at the time it never really occured to me...is there a way of getting them back on or what?

9. hbroomhall

Well - the drop-down menus on our very own Certforums site uses Javascript to get the effect. If they work then your javascript is working!

I suspect this is related more to opening new windows, as that is what that poster link does.

Harry.

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes thats right Harry...the javascript is working as the drop down menus on the CF site do work no problem...well I guess I will just have to find a way of getting this to work...but thanks anyway Harry...:biggrin

11. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

only thing i can think of is that you have a) your pop-up blocker set to high, and b) your information bar disabled (otherwise you would have noticed). that is the only way i can replicate your problem with the ie7b2 install that i have here.
    so double check your pop-up blocker (tools > pop-up blocker > pop-up blocker settings) if you will.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

nope its not that either d-Faktor...Pop up blocker is low and information bar is enabled and I always see that coming up...its nothing to do with that at all as far as I can see...but never mind...thanks...

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

The NoScript extension for Firefox is cool.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks for that Sparky...i will have a look into that and give a try...cheers...:biggrin