I've got like ONE day before i make a fool of my self

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Jacko the Ripper, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Jacko the Ripper

Jacko the Ripper New Member

HELP...okay heres my problem, I am 16 years old and have recently left high school with unfortunatly few qualifications :oops: (not because im slow or anything i just missed out on taking most of them) but anyway im deeply interested in the IT industry and want to somehow find a suitable career. Im interested in computer programming BUT i have little experience (This is chaos already i know), i have had experience in VB6 and im just trying to get to grips with Visual studio.net (As many of you might agree i hardly call that experience)....So okay Im currenly unemployed (just left school..no job) but very soon im expecting 2 grand from an inheritance :( (dont worry i know a self training course costs more thats not really the problem) but I've been looking around for home study courses from companys like ICS, NITLC, Computeach etc and i noticed a MCSD course for just over £1000 from ICS but then i read that i should have experience in maintaining solutions so that was out of the question, but then ITskills caught my eye with their Exam guarantee (they'll pay for it untill u pass) so I requested an information package (Ignorant to the fact that they would actually phone me up the next day) and when i read it i noticed the selection of courses were...small but when i spoke to them on the phone they suggested i take the MCSD course because it assums u have no experience in developing what so ever, so to me that was kinda good news but reading most of these forums im not sure if thats so true so i was woundering ...would MCSD be a good choice for someone whos interested in programming but has little experience? personally I belive not but i dont value my own opinion because of my little experience (see look how much its affecting my life! lol :x )

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Alright mate, you said you have left school with little qualifications, would you be able to get into college with what you have? Could be another option....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jacko the Ripper

Yeah i did consider college (after enormous amounts of pressure from my parents) but apparently ide have to wait till next year ...An ITskills person is comming around tomorrow and i was also woundering if MCAD can be taken as a standalone course (dumb question) or would i need to obtain whilst TRYING to get MCSD? :blink

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

My advice? Wait till next year and go to school. A degree will be of much more value than an MCAD with no experience, and you'll learn a lot more about the fundamentals of programming in a degree than you ever will in a certification course. Certification courses are meant to get you certified, not teach you the fundamentals needed to become a good developer.

You're only 16. Do things right the first time. You have lots of time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Remember the guy from ITSkills is trying to sell you something so don’t sign anything tomorrow, even if it sounds like the best thing in the world, ever!! :biggrin

Seriously though, if you are unsure of your career path or future education you may be tempted to sign up on the day, always best to take a few days to think about it as there are always plenty of other options. You can always post on this forum for a second opinion and don’t forget your parents! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Jacko the Ripper

Well i suppose so, ive got enough time on my hands to learn programming my self (cause i have a dodgey sleeping pattern) but im always changing my mind because im better at repairing pc's then programming software i just like the idea of programming...well off to college i go

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not a developer but from looking at what Microsoft say (quoted below), I would think it would be a bad choice, as it is not targeted at beginners!

More here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/default.asp

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Jacko the Ripper

Ahhh well thats answerd my question (in great dissapointment :x ) but is there anyone who knows about MCAD instead of MCSD