I've decided I wont be doing anymore certs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ive made a decission to not study for certs. When I first started in IT I was at my peak this was because I was simply studying random things.. related to my job, If there was an issue that another person was dealing with Id often go home abd try to work it out so if I had the same issue Id know what to do. At the time my bosses were singing my praises etc.. Now the real change is when I started following study guides my scores dropped rapidly I wasnt putting in effort to go home and workout issues that cameup at work as Id be studying for something else.

I really think for me personally I learn better in a live environment and learning in the real world. Im not saying I wont touch a cert again but for the next year or even two I am thinking of just learning from experience. The question is how wise is this to do? To not take any certs? Over the next two years pretty sure I will still be in helpdesk support anyway even if not with the same company.

JK2447 and dmarsh like this.
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

People shouldn't really learn the ins and outs of any platform through cert studies - cert guides just don't cover the right stuff for that.
    Those who are into networking should learn about networking from a really fat book about TCP/IP and Wireshark. Learn a bunch of commands from a CCNA guide when you need them.
    Wanna learn Windows server? Get the Mastering book and learn it usefully, then use a cert guide when you need to revise for a specific exam later on.

I hold that this approach makes you better at the job you have now, and it makes the cert study much easier when the time comes.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    dmarsh likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Honestly, I think at this stage in your career, focussing on experience is wise. A lot of certification requires this before you certify to give you the best chance of success. How long have you done first line mate? Don't let anyone tell you that you that you should be in a role for x amount of time. Everyone is different. You may be in a different role next year. It could be completely different like a junior developer role. I suppose what im trying to say is experience is king for all of us. Certification is just a good way to test yourself or to demonstrate that you know your stuff but mainly when you've done a job for a while. Excluding the awesome entry certs like A+ N+ of course which are ready to rock from day one. If you don't have these id say give them a go. Sorry if you do mate my memory is shot these days

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Jaron78 likes this.
  4. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Are you sticking around @Juelz

5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would have to say experience is not king, experience is important but you know what looks better then just experience? Experience and certifications, and what is better then experience and certifications, experience, certifications, education (degrees etc.) and you know what is better then that, that plus good interview technique and you know what is better then that? that plus contacts I could go on ;)

What am saying is there is no one thing that will get you a job try all the things you can to get yourself in a good position to achieve what you want.

Certifications: A few.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yeah probs but wont be as active