Itunes to a new Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by michael78, Apr 24, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys about to sell my ipod touch and have bought loads of apps for it. Is it possible to wipe my old ipod touch and sell it and then when I buy the new one sync all my apps or would I have to buy them all again?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Isn't the iPOD lihe the iPhone? It's all sync'd to iTunes?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. michael78

Ken, yeah mate it's all sync'd to iTunes.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not sure about the APPS tho' !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. michael78

Thats what I'm worried about that my apps will have to be bought again. Not bothered about my music as I only buy CD's then rip them to my ipod. Think I would cry if I had to buy them again.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not 100% sure, as I'm not an iPod expert.
    I think it may depend if you downloaded them on iTunes and then sync'd to the iPod, or if you downloaded then directly on to the pod.
    I've got a bit of both. But if I try to sync my apps it tries to remove any from the pod that aren't on iTunes.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I know that apps are sync'd on the iPhone/iTunes but not sure about the iPod.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. michael78

Couldn't find any info anywhere on it so I rang apple and they said you could so problem solved. Cheers guys for the help anyways :biggrin

9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Your apps are saved locally, so you can just drag them onto your new Ipod via the apps tab in the "XYZ's Ipod" menu

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

firstly, make sure itunes has ALL your apps
    right click the ipod icon and click transfer purchases, this will make sure any apps purchased on the itouch are also in itunes

you can then safely sync any new itouch with your apps

I've had 3 iPhones and now an iPad and they all synced just fine :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You trendwhore you :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I never bought a 3GS, I had to buy a new original when i moved to the US :)
    then I got a 3G
    and i'll probably get a new one this year when its refreshed, mines about 2 years old now and battery life is getting ****e :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. michael78

Cheers guys for confirming it was a tad worried that I would end up having to buy all my apps and games again.

14. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys, what kind of apps would one buy for the iphone etc? As I haven't got a clue about this stuff I'm quite interested to know. Also, does it come with freebie apps and are they anygood? Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's just like a PC to be honest, what app would you buy for one of those? You can get almost anything on there really. Games are very popular and some of the better ones do cost, but there are plenty of freebies also. There is also a huge variety of non game apps and some make very clever use of some of the phone features (being able to locate where you are, motion sensitivity etc...)

I really like my iPhone, but wouldn't have bought one for myself (it's a work phone). As good as it is though, I can't stand Apple as a company I think some of their business practices are particularly ropey. Especially some of the recent moves to limit developers with the new T&C's desgined to kill off code which has been translated from other platforms. And obviouslsy designed to kill off anything remotely flash based, since Apple or rather Steve Jobs now has it in for Adobe.

As for iTunes, don't get me started. It's the one major disadvantage to owning an iPhone / iPod in my opinion. I like to think of it as the worst peice of software I have ever had the displeasure of using (and yes I'm including Windows ME in group also :) )

I have heard a lot of good things about some of the new smartphones (andriod & win7 mobile based). I think one of those might be good as my next work phone.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada