Its one of thsoe hard to pin down problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzle, Dec 30, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

My son's pc has developed an issue. It fails to appear to boot. By that, i mean, on switch on, there is now display on the monitor. The monitor just shows "No Signal". Now i have tried another monitor and taht did same thing. So i thought maybe it was the Motehrbaord or CPU. Tried CPU in another motherboard and thats fine. (just to be sure i have tried the Graphics card in anotehr pc and that worked).
    So its the motherboard, or so i thought. Today while testing teh PC displayed a Graphics card boot and then the bios Post screen and then boots to windows. I turn it off, and now it wont display anything again. Now listening to the HDD that wirrs away like it does on boot and teh system actually sounds liek its booting even though i cant see that. And every now and then it does teh same thing, it will display teh BIOS info and boot but more often it wont display anything.

So what is teh cause? Memeory, CPu and Graphics card have been use in another PC, i can test the motherboard unless i strip it right down, but i can test the PSU in anotehr pc in case thats it. But it seems intermittent so anything i do may make it work for awhile and then it will stop again. Anyone any sugestions on this? His cpu and mobo are socket 939 AMD so could replace both, but i want to be sure what is wrong before i do that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

perhaps the dvi port is knackered, maybe it's one of those things that if you wiggle it about enough you'll get a contact and the monitor will display what it should.

Maybe a newer connector might help or if your pluggin it into a graphics card try the other port if it has one or another graphics card.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Could be the VGA/DVI cable that is at fault, when you tried a new monitor was it the same cable?

When it does boot, check the bios and windows event logs, maybe something in there can help find the problem.

WIP: LIFE
  4. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Watt :lol:is the power of your PSU...
    Put a bigger one in and see if you still get those intermittent problems.

Do you get clues about anything else in Event Viewer?

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

looking at it i think its either the DVI cable or a dodgy connector on teh back of teh graphics card. Teh card does have 2 connectors and it seems to work more often on one than teh other, but it is hard to tell. Will swap a cable in teh morning as i have no spare DVI cables, thier all in use on my many pcs lol.

6. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Why not swap the suspect cable with a known good cable in one of your other pc's, if the fault follows the cable, problem solved, if the faults stays with the system then back to the drawing board.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What he said...but then, if you *also* have a dodgy connector on the card... :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The symptoms are very similar to what i have seen with faulty capacitors on the motherboard :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yikes - spooky. Currently sat in my mancave re-soldering some caps onto a couple of shabby little Netscreen gig switches. Its a known fault with the model I have, apparently - GS108 - whereby they use capacitors with a dielectric probably made out rice or something stupid :biggrin

Netgear refused to RMA me replacement switches because I stupidly told them I'd popped the case to confirm it was the capacitors that had blown. I'm considering threatening them with legal action - there is no warning label on the case that says warranty is automatically voided if the lid is opened - normally I wouldn't bother, but they're being especially s***ty with me - especially since this is a known issue and all I've done by opening the case to confirm its the capacitors is do their work for them. Also, our support contract for workgroup switches is up in February and we'll be getting new ones in. We currently use Netgear - guess what we WON'T be using come February? :twisted:

Sorry to hijack your thread twiz :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'd go with that.

What model PC is it? We had a batch of Dell GX280s where the same row of capacitors would blow.

Normally they were near / between the PSU and CPU. Just whop open the case and take a look - it'll be obvious if they have gone "phut" :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Already thought of that, specially as i spent most of my last job replacing caps on mobos. but none on this one look blown or bulging so have to assume for now that thier ok.

As for teh cable being an issue, i have tried wiggling it and it doenst seem to cause it to lose signal to the monitor, nor does wiggling teh connector end make any difference. Will continue to investigate, but my lad played on his pc for a few hours last night with no problems.

12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd go for mobo failure as well on initial thought - the chance of a mobo "just going" is higher than a cable "just going".

Not just that, if you leave the whole PC alone (ie, physically don't move it at all and only touch to power on) and then the reboots fail/ok to show, as you haven't touched the cable, I'd be suprised if that was the point of failure.

Failing that, try the cable on the other PC too??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

well swapped the cable over for a known good one, and the problems seemed to have gone. However, it hasnt transfered with the cable to the other pc.

Have boot my son's pc a few times and it hasnt seemed to fail since doing this. I've put his cable on my pc and booted mine several times and thats not failed either, so its eitehr a combination of teh card / cable or its something else altogther.

14. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Would be a good time to check the event logs in bios and os if the machine is booting.

15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

grrrrrr!!! These issues bug me :twisted:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

well started teh pc for teh first time today, and guess what? it booted and works fine, all displaying on the monitor fine.
    Wiggling cable and connector makes no difference its all ok. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Count it as one of life's little blessings for now. As has been suggested (just in case you haven't done so yet), check all the available logs to see if anything useful about the problem has been recorded. Maybe you can solve this thing before the computer decides to puke again.

Certifications: A+ and Network+