It's not just about tech - important soft skills

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arroryn, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know we talk about the importance of being good at IT in order to get your foot in the door (and under a desk).

But what about the importance of soft skills?

I think we all agree that IT professionals generally don't adhere to the age-old stereotype of cave-dwelling, sunlight-avoiding, glass-wearing social outcasts with the personality and appeal of a wet sock.

But are we all aware of what soft skills are, and how we develop them?

What would you see as your most valuable 'soft skill'? And if you're the one in your team that does the hiring (and firing) what kind of soft skills do you want to see from people joining (and wanting to keep their places in) your team?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I often have to liase with clients either over the phone or in person and I am always willing to get the job done. My manager has said clients have phoned back to commend me on my professionalism.

As I have to train up the person under me I have to patient but I do have my limits, so I am not sure wether that counts:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I guess one of my better "people skills" is I'm a good listener...

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For me soft skills are very important, especially when interviewing candidates. You can have 5 candidates for a job, equally qualified, who would you go for? The one that demostrates good soft skills... Sometime even if the person isn't as qualified as another on paper, that person will be prefered over a more qualified person because of their soft skills.

That's not to say that certification isn't revelant or needed, after all a qualified person with good soft skills stands out a little bit more :)

For me, when I'm interviewing the 3 main soft skills that I look out for are:

1. Communication skills
    2. Team working &
    3. Motivation combined with enthusiasm

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It does mate; it comes under team work & teaching/leading at least.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Ability to communicate with all levels of an organisation in a way they understand, confidently. Ability to handle stress?

In my current job, children and staff of all age ranges and abilities.

I think they are important anyway.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Being able to maintain a smile and be helpful even when someone is trying your patience or interrupting you seems pretty important. This can be difficult when someone asks the same question for the 5th time, but hey ho - not everyone in the world is a tech!

Downside to always being friendly - I always seem to be the one who has to listen to the moaning about other people - another soft skill, listening to that without slagging anyone off yourself!

On the subject - there is a good talk here http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_our_loss_of_wisdom.html which mentions this subject. There are so many things that you have to do that aren't on your job description. I think it is impossible to write a 100% accurate job description unless you want employees who act like automatons.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+