It's finally got me.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Mar 27, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

21 and this will be the first time in my life I need dental treatment. I think I have an abscess under my gum (that or my wisdom tooth is murdering me) so because I don't have a dentist, I've had to book an emergency appointment for tomorrow.

It's looking like Root Canal treatment. :cry:

I'm pretty pi**ed something finally got me because i've been pretty well with my teeth before now. boooo.

[end of rant]

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

A balanced diet of whisky helps with toothache I have heard. :)

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

That blows... dental care is also very expensive. What's the deal in the UK for dental insurance? Do you pay out of your pocket or it's covered by some common deal?

Over here, we have obligatory health insurance, but dental care is not included in the base plans (which are still pretty expensive at over 200 pounds a month). If you don't have dental insurance and you go for a root canal, it could amount to 10's of thousands of pounds worth of work O_O!!! Might as well go and do it in a cheaper countrz (which is what some people do).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good luck mate, I'm sure it will be fine. One thing to consider though, most dentists will usually advise root canal, + crowns etc.. rather than say taking the tooth out. Now the cynic in me is thinking, could it be that they would rather have you in their chair for several appointments that will see you out of pockey by possibly hundreds of quid ... or would they suggest, you just get rid of the tooth in one go and pay 40 quid ....

Funnily enough, they have always suggested the former, and I have twice gone for the latter. :)

If the tooth is a big one, or it's in a noticable position, then perhaps you may want to go for the root canal + other treatments. If it's small or out of the way, then I'd get rid. Bigger teeth can be tougher to have out, but it can be worth it in the end.

I had one out last Thursday and ok, I won't pretend it was an enjoyable procedure. But my mouth is much better already and I'm glad I had it done.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - it's called the NHS. We all pay for it through taxes over here. Root canals (even via an exepensive private dentist) only ever cost about 300 quid mate - if you're ever charged tens of thousands for it anywhere on Earth you're being ripped off.

I wonder how many people on here from the UK who moan about the NHS would want to have to pay for MANDATORY health insurance that doesn't cover dental work?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

in fairness though, I still PAID for surgical extractions and root canals
    I was worried about the cost of them here, but it turned out its < $120 for each surgical extraction, which is LESS than it cost in the NHS
    pretty pleased with that to be fair :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Absolutely hate the dentist.

I had too many teeth - and had 6 taken out in one go about 10 years back, with the courtesy of 12 injections around my mouth - any work i need done now i will make sure they put me to sleep for.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I had an abses under my teeth once.

Was offered the choice of root canal work, meaning loads of money and treatments, or have the tooth removed.

I went for the latter. Cost about £40.

Dentist didn't half struggle to get the tooth out mind you! :eek:

9. westernkings

I think i'm going to bed him to put me to sleep. :cry:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Bed him? Surely you don't have to go that far mate?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  11. westernkings

Desperate times and all that. :D

12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

WK

I feel your pain, I had my first filling at 28 and I was gutted. It does spur you on to take better care of them afterwards though.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

LOL!

probably meant to be a g rather than a d on the end of it :mrgreen:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  14. westernkings

Beg or Bed. Whatever produces the wanted result. :p

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Haha.. typo of the day! congrats :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i cant say i think yanking a tooth to save some money is ever a good idea
    you dont get spares!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know what you are saying, and I had to make this choice last week ... The alternative would have required multiple visits and there was no guarantee of success anyway. I was also facing the prospect of a weekend from hell with a very sore mouth (as they wouldn't have been able to start the work till the following week).

I can live with the decision. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada