It's D-Day!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well, its not THE D-Day, but it was, 61 years ago today
    Lets take a minute to think about just what went into that historic day, and I dont just mean those that didnt make it to D-Day+1

It took years of planning, 47 divisions of troops, over 12'000 aircraft, over 6000 ships, two massive deception plots, 5000 tons of bombs, and a crack team of combat engineers who came up with the Mulberry harbors and operation PLUTO, without which the operation may well of failed,

The battle went on for almost 3 months, during which over 2.5 million troops landed at Mulberry B (known as Port Winston) as well as over 500'000 vehicles, many believe this amazing piece of enginuity to be what led to the sucess of the invasion

Now when you struggle with those active directory toughys, take a second to remember that the possibilities of human enginuity are endless, and you will be fine :)

Kudos to the 37'000 allied and 200'000 german soldiers who didnt see the end of the Normandy invasion, but who's contribution will never be forgotten

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Wise and touching words m8. We would be in a whole lot of different sh1t if it weren't for our brave lads and lasses from not just ours but many Nations that gave their all 60+ years ago.

I don't care if the following is a cliche - cliches generally exist because they are true, so I say..

Lest we forget !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think the phrase "remember the dead don't forget the living" is the one here boys.

As you said Gav the world would probably be a different place if all those people didn't sacrifice what they did.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Great words Ryan. I was going to post a reply to this last night, but I needed to get some beauty sleep (don't seem to be working tho. :()

As i lay in bed last night, I couldn't help thinking that 61 years ago, at that very moment, there we're already airborne troops in France, fighting and dying, and lots of troops in ships, that were about to see their last dawn. It made me realise how lucky we are today to be here, and what all these young men (ALL nations) sacrifised. Most of the troops involved were younger than me, and that just blows my mind.

Fourtunatly we will probably never see another conflict as big as the 2nd world war, and we should never forget what these people gave.

I for one, have the upmopst respect and admiration for those in uniform, both past and present.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Here here!!

Good post Ryan :respct

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)