It's a Hello from Me...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mr.Steve, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Mr.Steve

Mr.Steve New Member

Hello.

Just thought I would say hello!

Been lurking around a couple of forums and am glad to stumble over this one..

A little bit about me?

Well, worked in IT for a while, left IT to join The Bill, left the Bill after a number of years, went back into IT - into supporting and implementing IT and specific software systems, got my A+, then took 270 passed it, then took 290 - passed that too, scared (or lazy) of 291 so put that one off for a couple of years due to Sub-netting nightmares!

Worked for a Outsource IT company for a bit setting up SME systems, left there, then went to another company who made their own software and now working on getting my MCSE 2003 - finally getting around to finishing it off.

Have recently taken 291, passed that daddy making me MCSA 2003, I am now working on 293.

4 more exams to go. Got a mate who has taken the jump into IT contracting and paid his mortgage off with spare in the bank, would love to do that due to the money that is involved (or at least the potential) and also bring the variety and the possibility of getting more experience to the plate, however it scares me silly due to having a big mortgage, a beautiful daughter who is now 14 months, and the chance of not getting anything straight away should I leave and make the jump!

Particularly interested in hearing other IT perm to IT contractors in a similar situation and how they took the leap of faith so to speak, whether they succeeded, whether they had the financial backing before leaving, did it work/fail? not what was expected?

Either way...

Hello!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome!

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have been contracting for about six years now. It was pretty much what I expected. I still can't afford a house at these prices (heres hoping they drop that extra 40%) though and I still don't get enough time to find a gf, so some things never change ! I had savings for quite some time before I went contracting and my expenditure has always been minimal. I tended to change permanent jobs every 1-2 years so in many ways its pretty much the same.

7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012