ITIL study resources?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Sparky, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Posted about this a while back I didn’t get the whole ITIL thing going at my place of work.

Can anyone recommend any decent study resources for the entry level ITIL exams? Just can’t get on with the current book I have (dunno if it’s the book or because it’s ITIL and not technical stuff) so looking for some recommendations.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Sparky

Nobody?? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Sparky

5. Beerbaron

The topic is dry but its a fairly OK read.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I used the Art of Service book
    A bit pricey for what it was I thought, about £40 for a thin book (about 100 pages in all iirc, but it did also supply 3 month access to supplementary online material) , but it told me exactly what I needed to know, no more, no less. The questions were so similar in style and content to the real thing it turned out to be a bit of a bargain.
    I also had access to a Skillsoft (I think) offering through work, it went into way too much detail and ended up confusing me a little.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Sparky

Thanks guys. I find the material a bit dry I must admit but would like to add ITIL to the tech qualifications I have.

8. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Need to do this myself but the subject matter just seems very dull :(

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  9. Beerbaron

I found its just easier to plough through it without stopping as the topic isn't really that difficult.

10. mark_bridges

mark_bridges New Member

I really don't have the patience or time to go through a book...been a long time since I left academics. Are there any good android apps out there which I can use to revise, or better still, a full course? That's the only way I can see myself preparing. I had started studying a year back but gave up after Service Transition. I can see some apps but the play store is not really know for showing the best apps on top...any help will be really appreciated

11. chicola

chicola Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm also studying for ITIL Foundation. Does anyone know if the Self Test software is any good?

My preferred method for learning is to use practice tests and I know that sometimes self test can be very good, but sometimes a waste of money. I have the book already, but want something else for preparation.

Thanks,
    Chris.

12. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I also used Passing your ITIL foundation exam, there's an updated book here.

Found the book ok, good in parts - boring in parts, I guess it depends on what you like. Didn't use any test software, so can't comment on that :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. r08zy

r08zy New Member

The IT Governance stuff is quite good, I can't comment too much as I did my ITIL loaded with red bull in a class room.

I did buy this though and I have to say for a tenner it was pretty good.

Good luck, and I will say if you can teach yourself to live and breathe ITIL and feel you would like to push up to intermediate or master level you probably won't regret it. It's not very fun and involves a lot of documentation and for that reason most companies are prepared to pay a consultant vast amounts of money to come in and put the framework in place for them.

It definitely isn't fun work but the moneys there for anyone who wants it

Certifications: MBCS, ITIL V3F, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE Server Infrastructure
  14. Simi

Simi New Member

Hi, when I gave my ITIL foundation exam I referred to the book: ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need by Claire Agutter. You can check this book as I found it quite helpful. Also, I took practice tests from Simplilearn which were quite useful too. I hope this helps. Good Luck!