ITIL Self Study - recommended reading?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by BrizoH, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent study manual for the ITILv3 Foundation exam?

So far I've got the OGC Official Introduction to the ITIL Service Lifecycle, and Passing your ITIL Foundation exam books.

I was thinking of this - anyone read it or have any alternatives?

Thanks

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I passed the ITIL v3 Foundation exam on the pass mark (but a pass is a pass :) ) with the Passing your ITIL foundation exam book & the CBT Nuggets ITIL foundation CBT as study materials.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yes, the Art of Service stuff is very clear and I have highlighted it before elsewhere on these forums. The fact that it comes with access to an online cbt course as well makes it extremely good. It's what I'm using and I should be sitting the exam shortly.

Also, as an aside, I've received from them their ITIL v3 Toolkit, for FREE for putting a review on the Amazon site.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks gents

I think I'll go for the Art of Service book initially (hey, it's cheaper and I'm Scottish!)

5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I'll need to remember to add a review as well then, I'm always open to bribery :twisted:

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Ah, don't yet ! I've had the book a couple of months or so and the free offer was in response to a specific email I had. I'd wait for that and see.

BTW, the guys who runs it is on LinkedIn if you've joined there ?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/gerardblokdijk

7. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks for that - quite interesting to read his CV. I'm on LinkedIn but rarely look at it to be honest.

I've ordered the book on Amazon, out of interest how long have you been studying ITIL before taking the exam?

I realise it's all relative to how much study time I can put in, but I'm planning on booking the exam to avoid procrastination (something I'm prone to!), just wondering what a realistic timeframe would be.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Difficult to say really. My studying has been a bit sporadic due to personal circumstances.

However, a friends partner did it via the Bank where she worked in IT and reckons around the 20 hour mark was enough for the foundation course. I'd say that was a minimum and really depends on how well you take it in and your experience in the field (as it's a bit boring). Others on here can probably give you a better indication than me.

If you're on LinkedIn then make sure you join up on the CertForums group where you'll find me and a few others. Always handy to be there in case a good job prospect appears !

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sounds good as it's nice to have the soft skills aspect on your CV, I myself would be sitting the HDI service desk cert soon which entails all of ITIL v3 foundation. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I hear you on the boring part - this more one for the CV/Career than one that really interests me, although I can see the benefit of it.

Do you have a link to the Cert Forums group on LinkedIn? I searched but can't seem to find it

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Try this :

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=150590&goback=.gdr_1221312182529_1

if not search for it as certforums.co.uk and it should come up

12. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster