ITIL - is it only MS?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by webslinger2k, Mar 14, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I notice a lot of jobs now asking for ITIL certification - does this really matter?

What exactly is it, I have read conflicting things which have left me a little confused.

Are there also the usual MS stype exams for this certification, or is it a completely different type of animal?

thanks for any info shared...

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Nope, its nope M$...

I today decided to go for ITIL aswell, see this link for what ITIL is and also this link for an indepth explanation.

i asked this same question here...

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ITIL is a vendor-free, best practice library

Basically its a collection of best practices and techniques for use in the IT Service industry, covering service flows, roles, etc.

Do bear in mind that this cert is NOT a technical certification, it will not teach you how to fix a broken machine, or configure a Cisco router. It is Solely about designing your IT 'department' into what has been considered the best practice for doing so. Even then its not a compulsory system. We use a blend of our own techniques and ITIL in our business because it best suits our needs.

A lot of companies become impressed with an ITIL certification on board these days. Whilst its not essential some companies will favour you over a peer without ITIL.

I was lucky enough to get on board with my company at a time when they were pushing for everyone in IT to have the Foundation level certification. Its expensive, but they wanted to do it that way, so i got a cert out of it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

thanks for the info - seems as if it could be quite a handy qualification to have, especially from a management perspective. I think I will pick this up once I complete the MCSA I am aiming for.

I have experience managing a small Test team for a couple of years and really wanted to expand on that. That team involved a lot of change management and bug tracking/error monitoring.

5. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I suppose my next questions would be - does this lend itself well to self study? as I notice a number of you have mentioned going on courses before hand. That wouldnt be an option for me as my company are on a complete training and education freeze at the moment as they have just been purchased. So what books would be best for the Self Study route if indeed that is possible?

Can these be taken at the prometric test centres? as I didnt seem to see it on the website - what would it fall under?

Then the cost of the exam would also be helpful, i would imagine around the £120 mark right?

6. Fergal1982

Here

Cost is £100 + Vat, and you can sit it outside of a prescribed class, but its not recommended.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Thanks for the info - why would you not recommend taking the exam after self study then?

From what I have read, provided on the links above, the foundation level cert seems very low level and basic? Is there something overly complex then which would lend better to being taught rather then self taught?

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

The subject is "dry as a chip", common sense really but jargon rich.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to start cooking your chips in lard again Sandy :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Fergal1982

its not just me. the site i linked also recommends not doing it alone, as your interpretation of various factors may not be in line what the ITIL interpretation!

11. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Oh I see. Well unfortunately the only option for me would be to do it self study - so I better get out there searching for some decent material to study from...