ITIL Foundation

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Makaveli, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

After completing several Microsoft certifications over the last couple of years I am looking to certify in a different area and have been looking into ITIL Foundation. I have a few questions as I believe there is no requirement to take a course and it can be done by self-study

- Has anyone self studied for this exam? If so how did you find it?
    - What resources are recommended for self study?

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

In trying to donut at the moment.
    It seems really boring though

WIP: 70-680
  3. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

I did the v3 exam, self-studying using the Art of Service book, and the videos on their website (you get access to them once you register). It took me about a month from start to finish.

There wasn't anything very complicated, but I did find it pretty dry reading. Foundation is quite general, and looks at a variety of different job roles. The parts that related to actual work I'd done before were quite interesting - as it gives you an insight into why certain things are done in a certain way - it's just the other areas that I didn't really enjoy.

Having said that, I do like having an outline understanding of areas I'm not really involved in and I would at some point like to do the next level of exams.

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
    Modey likes this.
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

It seems alot of people find the learning for this exam dry. Who did you take the exam with?

5. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

I think unless you've worked in a role the exam looks at, then you're just reading through a lot of theory and concepts. There are no practical excercises to break things up either, so apart from sections with scenarios I'd experienced in real life, I didn't find it very 'engaging'.

The book isn't very long though (maybe 200 pages?), so maybe set yourself a target like 10-20 pages a night instead of doing hours and hours. I found it really easy to get bogged-down with parts of it, so manageable chunks would have worked better for me.

I'm pretty sure I booked the exam through Prometric. It was a couple of years ago though, so things may have changed

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  6. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks monobrow, it looks like Prometric offer the exam.

7. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

have fun ;)

8. jero25

jero25 New Member

Yes , I tried self studies . It is bit tough . Resource I use Books and Internet .