ITIL Foundation course

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Beerbaron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I have just got myself a job contracting for 6 months after finishing my MSc in Dec. I am looking to do as many certs as I can before i start job hunting again in the summer. I have my 70-682 exam already booked for next month so need a plan of action.

I have seen many jobs advertising knowledge of ITIL so am wondering, 1. is it worth having on your CV and 2. what type of people is it geared toward? I have read a few posts on here but am still undecided.

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

To be honest, I feel that having ITIL on my CV was/is a good thing! People (team members and IT managers) in the jobs I've had since getting ITIL didn't seem to care much about my MCPs etc but were more interested in asking how I got the ITIL cert! :biggrin

ITIL Foundation (I'm guessing that's what you mean) is geared at anyone that provides a service in IT...it's all about processes and best practices (I think that's the right term) with regards to service delivery.

So yeah...well worth it!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Beerbaron

As you have taken the exam already what is it like? duration, number of questions etc. Not that this really matters but curious what the exam is like.

I have a few more weeks to decide as will be self studying.

I have read that these certs do not expire but does anyone know how often the course is updated? Is there going to be a v4 any time soon.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

There's no version 4 in the pipeline mate, they will revise the Intermediate publications later on in the year but that's it.
    The course from Art of Service is easy to follow, couple of weeks and you would be fine to take the exam.

It's a 40 question multiple choice where you need about 65% to pass.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  5. drum_dude

Bri has it spot on!

When I did it, we just studied the Little ITIL (pronounced "ittle") which is like a pocket ITIL book...not too sure if that's the same today. But of course this was during the course so the tutor told us what to read up on!

A previous employer of mine paid for a group of us to do the course. It was about 3 days and loads of mocks...I kept failing the mock exams LOL! And then the real exam on the last day which was superivsed by someone linked to ITIL. The exam was written i.e. just a vote for joe multiple choice type exam like the MCPs etc.

I think it's all electronic now.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. Beerbaron

You can book the exam through Prometric

I have seen that some people use this textbook

Thanks.

7. drum_dude

Beware though, it is one BORING subject! And 3 days of classroom instruction was a proper @rse ache!

8. Beerbaron

Hopefully it will make me want to take the test quicker.

This is what im planning to do in the next 6 months. Maybe difficult but need to set a decent target.

70-682
    ITIL Foundation
    70-290
    70-291
    70-270 or 70-680

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Why would you do 70-680??
    MCDST + 70-682=70-680 + 70-685

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Beerbaron

So i would get the transcripts 271, 272, 682 and 680 & 685?

11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

12. Beerbaron

I have seen that link before but it wasnt clear. Although you get MCTS it doesnt say that you get 70-680

13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Surely the MCTS is all you need, regardless of whether you sat the actual 70-680 or not.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion on this, even within MS support themselves.

14. Beerbaron

I will just take all the other exams and leave that until last to see what happens :)

15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think that's the best bet, unless someone comes along who can confirm this one way or the other through experience.

If they are being funny about it, the 70-620 should take you approx 2.5 seconds to study for and do the same job.

16. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Does ITIL foundation require any prerequisite, in terms of an exam or equivalent experience?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  17. Beerbaron

As far as i know there arent any prerequisites

18. Andy_Walton

Andy_Walton New Member

Because ITIL is a conceptual thing, i.e. based around best practice, theres nothing you can really do in preparation.

If you work in an environment where ITIL guidelines are followed, this is definately a plus as you'll appreciate the different "lifecycle phases" and how they're inter-related.

Exam format is 40 Questions, pass mark is 26/40.

Certifications: MCSA:Messaging, CCNA, CCA, VCP4, ITILv3
    WIP: CCNP Voice
  19. Beerbaron

How long should this roughly take to revise for the exam?

20. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I think study time is around 15hrs.

I have justed started the itil foundation and although the book is a little over 100 pages i am finding it very hard to read. Its very dull I might try to get some training vids think it will be easier to take in that way.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST